NEW! Pot Holder Plus Bias Binding Sewing Tutorial
NEW! Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus
Watch the NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey. In this video, the Stitch it! Sisters share step-by-step fabric cutting and sewing techniques for making NZP’s NEW! Potholder Plus. Plus Timesaving Binding Tips by Nancy Zieman!
Watch the NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video and learn how to sew The Potholder Plus! Our generous-size Potholder Plus! measures 8-1/2″ x 9-1/2″ and features an outside pocket – for your hand. Or, tuck a packaged soup mix and ladle in the pocket, and you’ll have a Perfect Potholder Plus to present as a gift!
Then, head over to the shopnzp.com and purchase the exclusive NEW! Potholder Plus & Towel Topper Bundle Boxdesigned by the Stitch it! Sisters! The NEW! Potholder Plus & Towel Topper Bundle Box includes 1/3 yd. Blue Denim Gingham Fabric, 1/3 yd. Red Gingham Fabric, 2/3 yd. Afternoon Picnic Black Floral Fabric, 2/3 yd. Pellon ShirTailor Interfacing, 2/3 yd. Pellon SofShape Interfacing, 2/3 yd. Pellon Wrap-N-Zap Batting, 1/3 yd. Pellon Insul-Fleece Batting, and our NEW! No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern – with Classic Timesaving Tips by Nancy Zieman. The NEW! Potholder Plus & Towel Topper Bundle Box includes everything you’ll need to make two Potholder Plus’ and four coordinating towel toppers—you’ll supply the thread, buttons, and towels.
NEW! Patterns and Bundle Boxes at shopnzp.com
Watch the NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video and learn how easy it is to sew The Potholder Plus.
Then, below, check out Nancy’s Timesaving Bias Tape Sewing Tips as shared by her longtime friend, and co-worker, Deanna Springer. See how using the right tools makes the sewing process enjoyable, even for a beginner!
Nancy’s Timesaving Bias Tape Sewing Tips
- Gather fabrics, supplies & tools – as outlined in our NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video and in our NEW! Potholder Plus & Towel Topper Bundle Box.
- Trace your Pot Holder Plus Pattern Pieces from the NEW! No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern and cut out Pot Holder Plus pocket, pocket ShirTailor interfacing, pot holder front fabric, two layers Wrap-N-Zap, one layer Insul-Fleece, pot holder back fabric, and pot holder back ShirTailor interfacing.
- Press ShirTailor interfacing to back of pot holder Pocket Fabric, and Pot Holder Back Fabric. Set aside pot holder pocket.
- Layer cut pieces in order: Pot holder back fabric, Wrap-N-Zap, Insul-Fleece, Wrap-N-Zap, pot holder front fabric – as detailed in the NEW! No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern and in our NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video (above). Wonder Clip layers at edges.
- Baste stitch around pot holder edges, using scant 1/4″ seams. Set pot holder aside.
- Cut 1-7/8″ bias fabric strips.
- Seam together 1-7/8″ bias fabric strips, using 1/4″ seams.
- Insert 1-7/8″ bias fabric strip into Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker using Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl, to persuade fabric strip into maker.
- Press 1″ bias tape, as it exits the bias tape maker.
- For one Pot Holder Plus, you’ll need about 48″ of 1″ Bias Tape. For this photo, I displayed by bias tape in a “Z”-shape, for Zieman 🙂
- Open one edge of the bias tape, and pin to top edge only of Pot Holder Plus Pocket. Stitch just to the right of the unfolded crease.
- Trim away excess bias tape.
- Press bias tape to back of pot holder pocket.
- Use Clover’s Wonder Clips to hold bias tape in place! Sewing binding is the original use for Wonder Clips!
- Stitch binding in place with a Schmetz Needle, stitching “in the ditch” (where the binding meets the fabric). Or, stitch near the bias tape edge – and you’ll be sure to catch the back of the binding in your stitching line!
- Trim away excess bias tape. It was great to have the extra “handles” while stitching the bias tape to the pocket top!
- Layer pocket onto previously sewn pot holder. Wonder Clip edges together.
- Turn over pot holder, and add an optional 6″ ribbon hanging loop!
- Baste optional 6″ ribbon hanging loop to top of pot holder. Keep this loop out-of-the-way of all future stitching! Use Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl to hold loop in place.
- Baste pocket edges to pot holder.
- Tuck the hanging loop back behind the pot holder!
- Open folds of 1″ bias tape, and press under 1/4″ of bias binding short end.
- Pin or clip pressed under 1/4″ of bias binding to center of right front pot holder.
- Stitch just to the right of the unfolded crease. Using bias trim is the only way achieve the neatly sewn outer curved corners of the pot holder plus!
- Overlap the binding, and stitch through all layers, overlapping at least 4″ of bias tape.
- If you overlap and stitch less than 4″, you’ll have a gap in the bias trim when folded to the back side! Yikes!
- Cut away excess bias trim.
- Press bias tape to back of pot holder.
- Use Clover’s Wonder Clips to hold bias tape in place!
- Stitch bias binding in place with a Schmetz Needle, stitching “in the ditch” (where the binding meets the fabric). Or, stitch near the bias tape edge – and you’ll be sure to catch the back of the binding in your stitching line!
Visit the NEW! NZP Online Shop for the latest tools, patterns, fabrics and more at shopnzp.com!
Visit shopnzp.com, or click the “shop” tab
at the top of the NZP blog, anytime!
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with Stitch it! Sisters button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing if you’ll be trying out Nancy’s bias binding techniques!
Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2019 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.