Update Home Decor with a Pillow Wrap
You can easily change your home décor with a little fabric and a great embroidery design with this pillow wrap project. Embroider a seasonal motif on fabric or choose an elegant fabric design to complement your décor. Then, follow these simple directions to create a pillow wrap, or two! We’ve made this pillow wrap two-sided, which will save time, fabric, and add a splash to the family room all year ’round.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 5/8 yd. Quilted Fabric
- 18″ Pillow Form
- 7″ of 3/4″ Sew-in Hook and Loop Tape
- Clover’s Flower Head Pins
- Clover’s Bordeaux Ultimate Scissors
- 1-1/8 yd. Pellon ShirTailor Interfacing
- 3/8″ Wrap ‘n Fuse (Jumbo) Piping from Clover
- 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- Frixion Marking Pen
- Optional, Embroidery Thread
- Optional, Tear-Away Stabilizer
- Use the quilted fabric and hook & loop tape to create the pillow cover.
- Cut quilted fabric to the following sizes: Pillow Front: Cut one 19″ square. Pillow Back: Cut two 13″ x 19″ rectangles.
- Serge or zigzag along one long edge of each pillow back rectangle.
- Center the hook side of hook and loop tape 1-1/2″ from one back finished edge, and pin. Center the loop side of hook and loop tape 1-1/2″ from one back finished edge, and pin.
- Fold finished edges 3″ toward the wrong side. Pin.
- Use a 2″ seam allowance to hem.
- Overlap the pillow back pieces, aligning the hook and loop tape.
- Baste the pillow back at each side.
- Measure in 1/2″ at each corner, front and back. Mark with a pen.
- Measure in 4″ from each edge and place a mark with a pen.
- Connect marks to make a small triangle wedge.
- Remove excess fabric by cutting along marked line.
- Match right sides of pillow front and pillow back. Pin.
- Use a 1/2″ seam allowance to sew completely around the pillow.
- Turn the pillow right side out.
- Insert pillow form.
Create the Two-Sided Decorative Pillow Wrap/Band
- Cut two 5-1/2″x 39-1/4″ rectangles from each black fabric and Pellon ShirTailor fusible interfacing.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions to fuse the ShirTailor to the wrong side of the decorative fabric bands.
- Hoop Tear-Away Stabilizer.
- Use painter’s tape to center the decorative band in the embroidery hoop.
- Stitch your embroidery design to the center of the fabric band.
- Remove the tape and fabric band from the hoop.
- Remove tape and fabric from hoop.
Easily Create and Apply Piping Trim
- For this step, cut two 2-3/4″ x 20″ crosswise fabric strips, and two 18-1/2″ piping lengths. To create piping, follow the instructions included with the Wrap ‘n Fuse Piping.
- Simply center the piping in the fabric strip and wrap fabric around the piping. Press.
- Stop pressing 4″ from each piping end.
- At each end, cut fabric 1″ longer than piping.
- Fold each fabric end in half.
- Fold a 45° angle, meeting the cut end with the edges.
- Center and pin piping along the long edges of decorative bands.
- Use a zipper foot to baste the piping to the band.
- Matching right sides, join the decorative fabric bands along the top and bottom lengths. Stitch using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Leave a 4″ opening along one long edge.
- At opening, press seam allowances open.
- Pull one short end into the decorative band, matching seams and right sides together. Pin.
- Keep the opening on the outside as you work.
- Use a 1/2″ seam allowance to completely sew around the short end.
- Turn the decorative band right side out through the opening.
Shop ALL Christmas Fabrics on SALE at ShopNZP.com
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2021 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.
Make sure you are subscribed to Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC enews mailing list so you won’t miss a thing. Sign up at nancyzieman.com/blog/enews. And join us on YouTube,Facebook,Instagram and Pinterest!