Sew and Donate a Travel Pillowcase
When my team recently approached our local cancer treatment center to inquire about their sewn item needs, the response was immediate: “Super-soft travel pillows with washable pillowcases”. We were happy to oblige. I encourage you to reach out to your local hospitals and treatment centers to ask if they may have similar needs. Here’s a free tutorial on sewing travel pillowcases.
Here’s a quick sewing tutorial for a super-easy travel-sized pillowcase, which is designed to fit over smaller pillow forms (14″ x 20″); available at most big box retailers. Or, you can sew your own 14″ x 20″ pillow forms (below).
- 2/3 yard washable cotton fabric
- Cut a fabric rectangle 24″ x 30″.
Create the Travel Pillowcase
- Along one 30″ edge, press under 1/4″ towards the fabric’s wrong side.
- Along the same edge, press under 3″ hem.
- Fold or “wrap” the seam allowance forward and serge the remaining seam at the end of the pillowcase.
- Use a hand embroidery needle to secure the serger thread ends into the stitched seam.
- Press the pillowcase flat.
- Turn right side out and insert travel pillow.
How to sew a travel pillow insert:
- Cut a fabric rectangle 20-1/4″ x 28-1/2.
- Fold the fabric in half, matching right sides and matching the 20-1/4″ cut edges. Pin.
- Serge one short edge.
- Fold or “wrap” the seam allowance forward and serge the long edge of the pillow.
- Stuff the pillow with super-soft fiber fill and serge the opening closed.
Ta-da! These are so fun, fast and easy to make! Plus these pillows are such a comfort to those undergoing medical treatments.
For more ideas for charitable outreach sewing in your local community, nationwide or internationally, visit the Sew To Give page here on my blog.
Bye for now,