Create the Perfect Fit by Joi Mahon
Joi Mahon is an experienced pattern designer, author, educator, stylist, and pattern fitting expert. After being asked to participate in Create The Perfect Fit Blog Tour, which showcases her first book, I thought an interview was in order. Enjoy getting to know Joi Mahon!
Interview with Joi Mahon
Nancy: Please, share a sneak peek into your background with us .
Joi: Like many, I started sewing at a young age. I have always loved sewing, drawing garments on paper dolls, and making hand sewn doll clothing when I was just 5 years old. I took my one and only How to use a Commercial Pattern Sewing Class in 6th grade, when I was in 4-H. Sewing just clicked with me! At 14, I started apprenticing for a tailor and learned how to fit every body—men, women, kids, big, small, young and older. This is the foundation for what I do today. I also learned relationship skills, how to run a business, and how to be professional. In college, I studied fashion design, which filled in the gaps to become a designer. After graduation, I started my own business.
Joi: I am a fashion design entrepreneur, pattern designer for McCall’s, author of fitting books, designer of custom garments, embroidery designer, teacher of methods classes, and a spokesperson/designer for Baby Lock. It’s a rewarding career!
Nancy: Why did you decide to write Create the Perfect Fit?
Joi: Writing Create the Perfect Fit was the logical progression of my career and skills. This book allows me to share my content with more people. I can’t attend every event; so this allows me to get my knowledge and methods out to the masses.
Follow the Create the Perfect Fit blog tour
- September 19 The Sewing Loft www.thesewingloft.com
- October 9 Lindsay Wilkes www.cottagemama.com
- October 10 Threads Magazine www.threadsmagazing.com/blog/threads-daily
- October 10 Shop the Garment District www.shopthegarmentdistrict.com
- October 10 BabyLock Totally Stitchin www.totallystitchin.net
- October 13 Amy Ellis www.amyscreativeside.com
- October 14 Marly Bird www.marlybird.com
- October 14 Nancy Zieman www.nancyzieman.com/blog
- October 20 Melissa Mora www.mellysews.com
- October 22 Amy Barickman www.indygojunction.com
- October 24 Elizabeth and Liz www.simplesimonandco.com
- October 26 Kate Blocher www.seekatesew.blogspot.com
- October 28 Jenny Carver www.bobbinsandwhimsy.wordpress.com
- October 31 DESIGNER JOI www.designerjoi.com BIG PRIZE GIVE AWAY
Joi Mahon has generously offered a copy of Create the Perfect Fit as a giveaway. For a chance to win, please leave a comment below.
Thanks for voting for your favorite handbag or tote templates from my blog, It’s Great Fun to Sew Handbags!
- Nancy’s Hobo Tote
- The Town & Country Bag
- The Florida Tote
- The City Bag
The random winner is Kaye M. She said: My favorite is the Florida tote because I like the piping trim and having an outside pocket. I love the different fabric combinations that you’ve used for these cute bags.
Bye for now,