June 2020 NZP Block of the Month: Twirling Propeller Block
Nancy’s Red Elegance
2020 Block of the Month June Twirling Propeller
Introducing the sixh of 12 FREE! Quit Block Tutorials for the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series!
Earlier this year, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series. Join the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, anytime, by viewing the Basic Supplies and Tools Listing in the January 1, 2020 NZP BoM20 Kick Off Blog Posting.
On the third Saturday of each month, we’ll feature one block design, and we’ll be stitching one or more blocks of the same design each month. The blocks are created using Our NEW! Red Elegance Fabric Collection by Riley Blake and the Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover. Follow along as we show step-by-step how to create the June Twirling Propeller
June Twirling Propeller Block
NOTE: This block is 8-1/2″ square; 8″ finished square when sewn into finished quilt.
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
Cut Fabric for the Blocks
- Cut sixteen 4-1/2″ background squares of Red Elegance Diamonds Brick.
- Cut eight 4-1/2″ squares of Red Elegance Textured Berry – for propeller half-circles.
- Cut eight 4-1/2″ squares Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing.
For this June block of the m0nth in the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, we’re sharing Nancy Zieman’s techniques for creating perfect circles – without ever cutting a circle!
Construct the Blocks
Create the Center Propeller Appliqués
- With with fine point marking pen or pencil, trace a 4″ circle on glue dot-side of interfacing – or trace a 4″ circle using a drinking glass.
- Place a 4-1/2″ square of Red Elegance Textured Berry to one 4-1/2″ square Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing – matching smooth side of the fusible interfacing to right side of fabric. Pin.
- Using a Size 75 Schmetz Quilting Needle, stitch directly on the marked line – using a slightly shorter stitch length.
- With a 45mm Rotary Cutting and Pinking Blade, trim away excess fabric, leaving about a 1/4″ seam allowance on the outside of stitching line.
- Carefully cut away the center of the interfacing, leaving about 3/4″-1″ of interfacing at the inside of stitching line.
- Use Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner, and smooth the curved edge as the interfacing is turned to fabric wrong side.
Topstitch Propeller Appliqués to Block Background
- Layer one half-circle propeller applique onto one background fabric square, centering appliqué along one edge. Pin.
- Thread sewing machine with monofilament thread in the top thread of sewing machine, and regular all-purpose sewing thread in the bobbin.
- Use a narrow blind hem stitch, blanket stitch, zigzag stitch, or straight stitch to “machine appliqué” the circle to the background.
- Repeat steps above and make sixteen propeller quarter-blocks!
Repeat steps above and make sixteen propeller quarter-blocks!
Arrange 1/4–Blocks into Propeller Block
- Arrange four 1/4–blocks into one Propeller Block, rotating quarter-blocks as shown.
Join 1/4–Blocks into Propeller Block
- Place squares from right side column onto left side column, right sides together, pin.
- Stitch block sets together, using scant 1/4″ seams. Kiss the next block set to the stitched block and chain stitch.
- Clip threads between block sets.
- Open blocks and press seams flat, then press to one side.
- Layout block following diagram.
- Place block set from top row onto bottom row, right sides together, pin.
- Stitch block sets together using scant 1/4″ seam.
- Press seam flat.
- Open block and press seam to one side.
Repeat steps above and make FOUR June Propeller Blocks!
The Nancy’s Red Elegance June Propeller Quilt Blocks are complete! NOTE: Stitch at total of FOUR June Propeller Quilt Blocks.
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 112: Carefree Curves in Quilts!
SHOP our NEW! Books & Patterns and Exclusive Bundle Boxes at ShopNZP.com
Shop Elastic, Cotton Webbing, Zippers & More at ShopNZP.com
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing your thoughts about the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series and/or The NEW! June Twirling Propeller Block. Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
The randomly selected winner of a set of eight Landscape Quilt Note Cards Set by Nancy Zieman, from the June 13, Blog Post, Nancy Zieman Original Giclée Canvas Landscape Art Print: NEW! Natalie’s Window, is Lynette Wilson.
Her comment is: What a hard choice!! I love them all, but if I have to choose only one I would choose Natalie’s Window.
June 21, 2020 would have been Nancy’s 67th birthday. The Nancy Zieman Productions Team is honored to carry on her legacy and celebrate Nancy, and her many contributions to our world through her elegant style and gracious living.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.