July 2020 NZP Block of the Month: Corner Curves Block
Nancy’s Red Elegance
2020 Block of the Month July: Corner Curves Block
Introducing the seventh of 12 FREE! Quit Block Tutorials in the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series! The Corner Curves Block, also known as a Drunkard’s Path Block variation, is quickly made in multiples when cutting our Circle Blocks into quarters!
In January, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series. Join the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, anytime, by viewing the Basic Supplies and Tools Listing in the January 1, 2020 NZP BoM20 Kick Off Blog Posting.
On the third Saturday of each month, we’ll feature one block design, and we’ll be stitching one or more blocks of the same design each month. The blocks are created using Our NEW! Red Elegance Fabric Collection by Riley Blake and the Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover. Follow along as we show step-by-step how to create the July Corner Curves Block.
July Corner Curves Block
NOTE: This block is 8-1/2″ square; 8″ finished square – when sewn into finished quilt.
For the Nancy’s Red Elegance July Corner Curves Block, select the following four fat quarter fabrics from the NEW! Red Elegance Fat Quarter Bundle along with the “Circle” Template from the Carefree Curves Template Set.
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
Cut Fabrics for the Block
- Cut three 9″ background squares of Red Elegance Lace Berry.
- Cut three 9″ background squares of Red Elegance Textured Red.
- Cut three 7″ square of Red Elegance Diamonds Taupe – for center circles.
- Cut three 7″ square of Red Elegance Lace Taupe – for center circles.
- Cut six 7″ square Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing
For the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, we’re sharing Nancy Zieman’s techniques for creating perfect circles – without ever cutting a circle!
Construct the Blocks
Create Center Circle Appliqués
- Place one 7″ background square of Red Elegance Diamonds Taupe to one 7″ square Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing – matching smooth side of fusible interfacing to right side of fabric. Pin.
- Position the Circle Template on the glue-dot side of the interfacing, centering the template on the interfacing square.
- With a fabric marking pen and Circle Template, trace a 6″ circle on the interfacing – tracing along the yellow lines at the die cut openings.
- Using a Size 75 Schmetz Quilting Needle, stitch directly on the marked line – using a slightly shorter stitch length.
- With a 45mm Rotary Cutting and Pinking Blade, trim away excess fabric, leaving about a 1/4″ seam allowance on the outside of stitching line.
- Using a Scissors, carefully cut away the center of the interfacing, leaving about 1″ of interfacing on the inside of stitching line.
- Use Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner, and smooth the curved edge – as the interfacing is turned to the fabric wrong side.
- Repeat steps above and create THREE 6″ Red Elegance Diamonds Taupe Center Circle Appliqués, and THREE 6″ Red Elegance Lace Taupe Center Circle Appliqués.
Topstitch Circle Appliqués to Block Background Fabric Squares
- Fold one Red Elegance Lace Berry background square in half, then in quarters – to determine center.
- Use a Roll ‘n Press, and press along folded edges – to quarter-mark square.
- Fold one Red Elegance Diamonds Taupe center circle appliqué in half, then in quarters – to determine center. Use a Roll ‘n Press, and press along folded edges.
- Layer wrong side of one circle appliqué onto the right side of one background square, aligning fold lines. Pin.
- Thread sewing machine with monofilament thread in the top thread of your sewing machine, and regular all-purpose sewing thread in the bobbin.
- Set your sewing machine for a narrow blind-hem stitch, blanket stitch, zigzag stitch, or straight stitch to “machine appliqué” the circle to the background. You’ll choose one stitching style 🙂
- Repeat steps above and create THREE Circle Blocks with Red Elegance Diamonds Taupe Center Circle Appliqués on Red Elegance Lace Berry Background Squares; and THREE Red Elegance Lace Taupe Center Circle Appliqués on Red Elegance Textured Red Background Squares.
Cut 1/4–Circle Blocks from Circle Blocks
- Using a Rotary Cutter, Ruler, and Mat, cut each Circle Block in four equal square sections – cutting along folded creased lines. Each quarter section will measure 4-1/2″ square.
Assemble Corner Curves Blocks
- Arrange quarter-square blocks into SIX Separate Corner Curves Blocks as shown below.
Stitch Corner Curves Blocks
- Using scant 1/4″ seams, stitch 1/4–Circle Blocks into SIX Blocks, as shown below. Stitch 1/4-Circle Blocks in pairs, then in rows.
- Stitch 1/4-Circle Blocks in pairs, as shown.
The Nancy’s Red Elegance July Corner Curves Blocks are complete!
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 112: Carefree Curves in Quilts!
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing your thoughts about the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series and/or The July 1/4-Circle Block.
Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
Over $200 in Prize Giveaways!
The randomly selected winners of our six Stitch it! Sisters Season One Wrap Party Giveaways, from the July 11 Blog Post, Stitch it! Sisters Season One Wrap Party and Giveaways!, are:
Pellon® Consumer Products
Convenient Prepack Trio with BONUS Stitch it! Sisters Sticker
Her comment is: Looking forward to MORE sewing fun with you wonderful group of ladies. “Happy, Happy Sewing”. “Blessings To All”.
Chrome Needle Trio with BONUS Stitch it! Sisters Sticker
Her comment is: I loved the 10-20-30 Minutes to Sew a Tunic and the Tunic Fitting videos, as well as the videos for items which are perfect for gift giving without breaking the bank. So I guess you can say I thoroughly enjoyed all of your season one videos. In season two I would like to see some home dec items.
Stitch it! Sisters™
S!S Spray Mist Bottle & Eze-View Pressing Cloth Set with BONUS Stitch it! Sisters Sticker
Her comment is: These were very enjoyable lessons. The directions are at a nice pace and very complete. I would like to see more apparel fitting and sewing tips. Also, would enjoy more small home decoration projects. I especially liked the easy pillow idea.
Stitch it! Sisters™
Dresden Columns Bundle Box with BONUS Stitch it! Sisters Sticker
Her comment is: I am happy that you are making videos and continuing Nancy’s legacy. One of my favorites was the Straight line machine quilting video that Deanna presented. She had so many cute table runners and wall hangings. Thank you and I am looking forward to season two!
Stitch it! Sisters™
Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging Bundle Box with BONUS Stitch it Sisters Sticker
Her comment is: What great tutorials! I learn so much from watching the correct way to cut, assemble, sew, bind and finish projects. I really like that the tools you use are explained and where to purchase them from. Thanks for keeping home sewing alive. Being 74 years old and a sewer since I was in the 6th grade, I was afraid home sewing was going out of style. Love your projects.
Clover Needlecraft, Inc.
Quilter’s Ultimate Trio with BONUS Stitch it! Sisters Sticker
Her comment is: I’m thrilled that NZP is continuing to produce a series following Nancy’s principles. The Sisters are great! The project have been fun and useful-both as gifts and for me personally. Thank you! I would love to see more machine embroidery and quilting in the hoop, but am happy no matter what.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sistersis a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.