Potholder Plus Sewing Tutorial and NEW! Boutique Wildflower Fabrics
Make our Potholder Plus in just two hours with our step-by-step sewing tutorial–below! Finished Potholder Plus measures approximately 8-1/2″ x 9-1/2″. Sew this super-quick Potholder Plus with one-half yard of fabric and two fat quarters and coordinating binding fabric! We’re using NEW! Wildflower Boutique Fabrics!
Make Team NZP’s No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern sewing projects for your home. The sewing is streamlined with our easiest-ever sewing steps, and simple pattern shapes made from rectangles and squares.
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus
Watch the Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey. In this video, the Stitch it! Sisters share step-by-step fabric cutting and sewing techniques for making NZP’s Potholder Plus. Plus Timesaving Binding Tips by Nancy Zieman!
Then, head over to ShopNZP.com and purchase our exclusive NEW! Potholder Plus Bundle Boxes! The NEW! Potholder Plus Bundle Boxes! feature NEW! Wildflower Boutique Fabrics by Riley Blake Designs, and our No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern – with Classic Timesaving Tips by Nancy Zieman. The NEW! Potholder Plus Bundle Boxes! includes everything you’ll need to make two assorted Potholder Plus’ and four coordinating towel toppers—you’ll supply the thread, buttons, and towels.
Potholder Plus Sewing Tutorial
Approximate finished size: 8-1/2″ x 9-1/2″
Potholder Plus Tools & Supplies
- Exclusive NEW! Potholder Plus Bundle Box – Pattern included
- I Sew For Fun Heart Shaped Straight Pins
- Clover’s Pin ‘n Stow Magnetic Wrist Pin Cushion and/or I Sew For Fun Heart-Shaped Magnetic Covered Pin Caddy
- Clover’s 7-3/4″ Bordeaux Ultimate Shears
- I Sew For Fun Sew Safe Presser Foot or 1/4″ Quilting Presser Foot
- Quilter’s Starch Savvy
- Clover’s Rotary Cutter and Mat, & Ruler
- Schmetz Universal Needle
- Clover’s I Sew For Fun Wonder Clips, Clover’s Wrist Cushion for Wonder Clips
- Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker
- Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl
Pre-shrink two yards of coordinating fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time, and then spray press and starch fabric with June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy — press and starch, press and starch.
Pot Holder Plus Sewing Tutorial
Prepare Fabrics from the NEW! Potholder Plus Bundle Box
- Cut one Outer Fabric Rectangle 8-1/2″ x 7-1/2″, from Wildflower Boutique Green Fat Quarter Panel.
- Cut one Outer Fabric Rectangle 8-1/2″ x 10″ and one Inner Fabric Rectangle 8-1/2″ x 10″, from Wildflower Boutique Green Fat Quarter Panel.
- Cut one 8-1/2″ x 7-1/2″ rectangle from Pellon Sof-Shape Interfacing and one 8-1/2″ x 10″ rectangle from Pellon Sof-Shape Interfacing.
- Cut two 8-1/2″ x 10″ rectangles from Pellon Wrap-N-Zap.
- Cut one 8-1/2″ x 10″ rectangles from Pellon Insul-Fleece™.
- Cut one 6″ length grosgrain ribbon.
- Trace your Potholder Plus Pattern Pieces from the No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern and cut out Potholder Plus pocket, pocket ShirTailor interfacing, pot holder front fabric, two layers Wrap-N-Zap, one layer Insul-Fleece, potholder back fabric, and pot holder back ShirTailor interfacing.
- Cut out fabric pieces.
- Press ShirTailor interfacing to back of pot holder Pocket Fabric, and Potholder Back Fabric. Set aside pot holder pocket.
- Layer cut pieces in order: Pot holder back fabric, Wrap-N-Zap, Insul-Fleece, Wrap-N-Zap, pot holder front fabric – as detailed in the NEW! No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern and in our Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video (above). Wonder Clip layers at edges.
- Use Wonder Clips to secure the layers together
- Baste stitch around potholder edges, using scant 1/4″ seams. Set pot holder aside.
- Cut 1-7/8″ bias fabric strips.
- Seam together 1-7/8″ bias fabric strips, using 1/4″ seams.
- Insert 1-7/8″ bias fabric strip into Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker using Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl, to persuade fabric strip into maker.
- Press 1″ bias tape, as it exits the bias tape maker.
- For one Potholder Plus, you’ll need about 48″ of 1″ Bias Tape.
- Unfold one edge of the bias strip and align the raw edge with the edge of the pocket top.
- Pin in place.
- Stitching slightly to the right of the fold in the tape, stitch the bias strip to the pocket top with scant 1/4″ seam.
- Use Clover’s Wonder Clips to hold bias tape in place! Sewing binding is the original use for Wonder Clips!
- Press bias strip to the backside of the potholder pocket, covering the stitching line. Press bias strip to the backside of the potholder pocket, covering the stitching line.
- Stitch binding in place with a Schmetz Needle, stitching “in the ditch” (where the binding meets the fabric). Or, stitch near the bias tape edge – and you’ll be sure to catch the back of the binding in your stitching line!
- Layer pocket onto previously sewn potholder. Wonder Clip edges together.
- Turn over potholder, and add an optional 6″ ribbon hanging loop!
- Baste optional 6″ ribbon hanging loop to top of potholder. Keep this loop out-of-the-way of all future stitching! Use Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl to hold loop in place.
- Baste pocked edges to potholder.
- Press under 1/2″ at end of bias trim. Beginning at side, place right side of bias trim to right side of potholder. Use Wonder Clips to hold bias trim in place.
- Press bias trim to potholder back, covering the stitching line. Wonder Clip bias trim in place. Stitch, overlapping bias end over folded end.
- Attach bias trim using NZP’s Bias Binding Technique.
- Stitch bias binding in place with a Schmetz Needle, stitching “in the ditch” (where the binding meets the fabric). Or, stitch near the bias tape edge – and you’ll be sure to catch the back of the binding in your stitching line!
Customize Your Potholder Plus Color Palette:
Green Wildflower Boutique Fat Quarter Panel
Red Wildflower Boutique Fat Quarter Panel
Shop Elastic, Cotton Webbing, Zippers & More at shopnzp.com
For a chance to be the random winner of a 10 pack of I Sew For Fun Wonder Clips from Clover, please leave a comment below sharing which Potholder Plus colors you’d like to make – Green or Red?
Clover will give away one 10 pack of I Sew For Fun Wonder Clips to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.
Make sure you are subscribed to Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC enews mailing list so you won’t miss a thing. Sign up at nancyzieman.com/blog/enews. And join us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!