NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Sew Organized Fabric Bins Sewing Tutorial
NEW! Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 203, Sew Organized Fabric Bins!
NEW! Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 203, Sew Organized Fabric Bins with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey from Team NZP! In this video, the Stitch it! Sisters share how to make our NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins.
In our NEW! Sewing Tutorial below, we’re sharing step-by-step how to make our Sew Organized Fabric Bins made with simple fabric rectangles and flat construction sewing techniques. Sew Organized Fabric Bins are an ideal project for beginner sewers!
Our NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins are fast and fun to make! Make one or more of our Sew Organized Fabric Bins to coordinate with any room in your home! 10″ x 10″ x 10″ Fabric Bins fit standard cube organizers or set on a shelf.
Purchase one of the NEW! Exclusive Sew Organized Fabric Bin Bundle Boxes featuring two coordinating Glohaven Flowers and Blossom fabrics, by Lila Tueller for Riley Blake Designs, Pellon® Peltex Sew-In Ultra Firm Stabilizer, Pellon® Wonder-Under Paper Backed Fusible Web, Cotton Webbing Handles, and our NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bin Sewing Pattern with full-color step-by-step instructions and illustrations. Now available at ShopNZP.com!
Our NEW! Exclusive Sew Organized Fabric Bin Bundle Boxes are available in three limited edition colors and include everything you’ll need to make one NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bin.
NEW! Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 203, Sew Organized Fabric Bin!
Make one of more of our beautiful NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins and organize in style. NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins are ideal for storing/sorting fabrics and fat quarters in your sewing space, organizing clothing or linens on a closet shelf, and/or holding towels in a bathroom. Where would you use NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins?
Sew Organized Fabric Bin Sewing Tutorial
by The Stitch it! Sisters
Sew Organized Fabric Bin Supplies Listing
- NEW! Exclusive Sew Organized Fabric Bin Bundle Box with Pattern
- Clover’s 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- Clover’s Wonder Clips
- Clover’s Flower Head Straight Pins
- Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner
- Clover’s Double Sided Basting Tape
- Pattern Making Paper
- Tailors Clapper or Seam Stick
- Denim/Jeans Needles Sz. 90
- Quilter’s Starch Savvy
- Sewing Thread
- 45 mm Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, and Rotary Cutting Ruler
- 45 mm Rotary Cutting Wavy Blade or Pinking Blade
- Optional: Clover’s Hot Ruler
- Optional: Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet
- Optional: EZ-View Pressing Cloth
- Pencil/Marking Pen
- Cut one 17″ x 20″ rectangle from Pattern Making Paper.
- Using a 6″ x 24″ ruler and pencil, mark a straight line 1″ below pattern top – parallel to pattern top edge.
- At each lower corner, using a 6-1/2″ x 6-1/2″ ruler and pencil, mark 5″ squares.
- Using a craft scissors, cut out lower 5″ corner squares.
Cut Wonder-Under Strips
- Using a rotary cutter, ruler and mat, cut three-four 1″ x 17″ strips from Wonder-Under.
Prepare Bin Fabrics
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy.
- Fold Blue Glohaven Flowers fabric wrong sides together – meeting short ends.
- Place pattern on fabric and cut two layers: One Fabric Bin outer front, and one Fabric Bin outer back.
Save 5″ fabric squares for a future sewing and/or quilting project!
- Fold Yellow Glohaven Blossoms fabric wrong sides together – meeting short ends.
Note: Before cutting inner bin lining pieces, fold paper pattern top toward pattern back – along 1″ marked line.
- Place folded pattern on fabric and cut two layers: One Fabric Bin inner front and one Fabric Bin inner back lining.
- Place folded pattern on Pellon Peltex Sew-In Ultra Firm Stabilizer and cut two layers.
- Using a scissors cut out 5″ corner squares.
Pattern top will remain folded toward pattern back –when cutting inner bin lining pieces and Peltex layers.
Prepare Outer Fabric Bin
- Using a Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet, press Wonder-Under strips to wrong side of outer front and outer back – centering Wonder-Under strips along top edges and 1/2″ inside each side.
- Baste layers together, along sides and bottoms only.
Prepare and Attach Handles to Outer Fabric Bin
- Cut two 8″ lengths from Yellow 1″ Cotton Webbing.
- Using Clover’s Hot Ruler, press under 1″ along short handle ends.
- Place a Wonder Clip at each pressed handle end – to temporarily hold fold.
- Using an erasable fabric marking pen or Chaco Liner, and Clover’s 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge, place “L” shaped marks 3″ on each side of center bin – at 4-1/2″ down from upper edge of outer front bin.
- Repeat markings on outer back bin.
- Apply 1″ sections of Clover’s Double Sided Basting Tape to wrong side of handle ends.
- Position folded ends of one handle to marked lines of outer front bin and “tape-baste” in place.
- Topstich handle ends to outer front Fabric Bin – stitching along handle side, top, and bottom forming a stitched 1″ square with optional “X” pattern as shown.
- Repeat steps on outer back bin.
- Wonder Clip outer front bin to outer back bin, right sides together, along lower bin.
- Stitch lower center seam.
- Using an Eze-View Pressing Cloth, and optional Tailor’s Clapper, press seam flat, then press seam open.
- Wonder Clip side seams and stitch.
- Press side seams flat, then press open over a Sleeve Board or Seam Stick.
- Using a 45 mm rotary cutter with pinking or wave blade, trim outer bin top edges, trimming away about 1/8″.
When using a rotary cutter with pinking or wave blade, flip cutting mat over and cut on the back side of the mat.
- Meet outer bin gusset seam, stacking side seam over lower center seam. Wonder Clip. Stitch.
- Repeat steps to create opposite gusset seam.
- Turn outer bin right side out, using Point 2 Point Turner.
Prepare Inner Fabric Bin
- Stitch lower and side seams.
- Press seams flat, then press seams open over sleeve board or Seam Stick.
- Meet inner bin gusset seams, stacking side seam over lower center seam. Wonder Clip or Pin. Stitch.
- Repeat steps to create opposite gusset seam.
- Apply 1″ sections Clover’s Double Sided Basting Tape to wrong side of inner bin–along top edges.
- Insert inner bin into outer bin – wrong sides together.
- Remove paper backing from Clover’s Double Sided Basting Tape.
- “Tape-baste” inner bin to outer bin, along Peltex top edge.
- Remove paper backing from Wonder-Under.
- Fold outer fabric over inner fabric.
- Using Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet, press outer fabric to inner fabric.
Our NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins are fast and fun to make! Make one or more of our Sew Organized Fabric Bins – to coordinate with any room in your home! 10″ x 10″ x 10″ Fabric Bins fit standard cube organizers or set on a shelf!
For a chance to be the random winner of Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing a sewing room organizing challenge, or organizing tip! And/or, where you’d use Sew Organized Fabric Bins?
Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
The randomly selected winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, from the January 19 Blog Post, Sew a Reversible Valentine’s Day Apron with Mary Mulari’s Crisscross Apron Pattern, is Pat M.
Her comment is: Mary’s apron pattern is so comfortable to wear and easy to construct.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2021 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.