Nancy Zieman Productions 2019 Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge Announced
The Nancy Zieman Productions Team is excited to announce the 2019 Table Runner Sewing Challenge, taking place October 1–29, 2019! You’re invited to join the 2019 NZP Table Runner Sewing Challenge by stitching a table runner and showcasing your sewing and quilting talents. Table runner entries may be any color palette, feature any sewing, quilting, or machine embroidery techniques, and must be a size that fits on a kitchen or dining table—use your imagination! Enter one table runner that has been sewn within the last year and has not been entered into a previous Nancy Zieman Productions Table Runner Sewing Challenge. All challenge details are listed near the bottom of this posting. You could win a prize from one of our generous 2019 Table Runner Sewing Challenge Sponsors!
Join the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge!
Choose any design ideas, including the FREE! Table Runner Sewing Tutorial (below), or choose one of our Classic NZP Table Runner Sewing Tutorials for inspiration, then enter the Fall 2019 Table Runner Sewing Challenge. Deadline to enter is October 22, 2019.
FREE! Afternoon Picnic Table Runner Tutorial!
This NEW! Puzzling parallelogram Patchwork Table Runner, by The Nancy Zieman Productions Team, goes together in an afternoon of sewing and features twelve 6″ modified 1/4-square triangle quilt blocks—all made from just three fat quarters, and a fourth fat quarter for binding. This design looks complicated, but is truly easy to make and is a great project for beginning quilters.
- Three fat quarter fabrics (for quilt blocks) from Nancy Zieman’s NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack from Riley Blake Designs.
- Choose one additional fat quarter (for binding the table runner). We selected the Afternoon Picnic Blue Tonal from the NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack from Riley Blake Designs.
- Nancy Zieman’s No-Hassle Triangle Gauge by Clover
- 3/8 yd. Pellon Fleece Batting
- 3/8 yd. backing fabric
Create 12 Modified 1/4-Square Triangle Units
Make this easy table runner top with a dozen super-quick Modified Quarter-Square Triangle Blocks using the speediest, most accurate, no-math, “Nancy Zieman” way. Make all 12 blocks from just three fat quarters!
Each block is a 6-1/2″ (6″ when sewn into table runner).
1. Cut crosswise fabric strips.
- Spray starch fabric or use starch alternative, such as June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy.
- Stack two starched fat quarters, Afternoon Picnic Cream Tonal and Afternoon Picnic Black Gingham, right sides together. Cut one 7-1/2″ crosswise strip, from each of the two fabrics.
- Cut two 7″ crosswise strips, from Afternoon Picnic Black Main.
Subcut strips into squares—also known as block sets.
- Cut three 7-1/2″ squares from Afternoon Picnic Cream Tonal.
- Cut three 7-1/2″ squares from Afternoon Picnic Black Gingham.
- Cut six 7″ squares from Afternoon Picnic Black Main.
Construct The Units
All seam allowances are scant 1/4″ unless otherwise stated.
The step-by-step photos illustrate construction of block pairs.
Half-Square Triangle Units (HSTs)
1. Create three 1/2-square triangle blocks.
Mark block sets using a No-Hassle Triangles Gauge and fabric marking pen. The left side of the gauge is designated to create 1/2-square triangle blocks. Depress button on sliding portion of the gauge and move to size of the desired 1/2-square triangle.
2. Stitch blocks.
- Attach Patchwork Foot to sewing machine (optional).
- Set machine for straight stitch 2.0–2.5 mm.
- Align foot along one side of center mark; stitch. Do not cut the thread.
- “Kiss” the next block set to the stitched block, and chain stitch from one block to the other.
- Rotate blocks 180 degrees, and stitch the second side of the blocks.
- Continue chain stitching until all three block units have been stitched.
- Cut the blocks apart along center markings with rotary cutter, ruler and mat.
- Clip threads between chain stitched blocks.
- Press seams to the Afternoon Picnic Black Gingham side of the squares.
Create Modified 1/4-square Blocks
- Align each 1/2-square triangle unit(above) to one 7″ Afternoon Picnic Black Main square, right sides together.
- Mark as a 1/4-square using a No-Hassle Triangles Gauge.
- Stitch squares.
- Using a rotary cutter, ruler and mat, cut squares into modified 1/4-triangles.
- Clip threads between chain stitched blocks.
- Press seams to the Afternoon Picnic Black Main side of the square.
3. Lay out blocks into desired table runner quilt pattern. Team NZP had fun rotating the 12 Modified 1/4-Square Triangle Units, and we enjoyed discovering fun table runner design options!
4. Team NZP selected the fourth layout option (above) and we named our design, Puzzling Parallelogram Patchwork!
Assemble and Finish Table Runner
- Lay out blocks into desired table runner quilt pattern.
- Place blocks from top row on blocks from bottom row, right sides together, creating six sets. Chain stitch from one block set to the next. Clip threads between. Press seams in opposite directions.
- Place block sets from left to right first column on to second column, right sides together, making creating three sets. Chain stitch from one set to the next. Clip threads between. Press seams to open or to one side.
- Place block sets from left to right first set on to middle set, right sides together. Stitch. Press seams to open or to one side.
- Place block from right on to middle set right sides together. Stitch. Press seams to open or to one side.
Cut the Backing
- Cut the backing piece approximately 13-1/2″ x 38-1/2″ (or larger).
- Layer the quilt backing (wrong side up), the Pellon Fleece Batting, and the table runner quilt top(right side up)—to create a quilt sandwich. Pin layers together with safety pins.
- Machine quilt the table runner layers together with straight line machine quilting using The Ultimate Quilt ‘n Stitch Presser Foot by Nancy Zieman Productions for Clover.
- Bind the table runner using Nancy Zieman’s Easy quilt binding instructions.
Over $700 in prizes! Thank you to our generous 2019 Fall Table Runner Challenge Sponsors!
- Clover-USA: Iron Finger, Point 2 Point Turner, Hot Hemmer, Hold it Precision Stiletto, Hot Ruler, Roll & Press, Wonder Clips (10pc/Asst) and Bordeaux Ultimate Scissors 130. A $154 value
- Riley Blake Designs: 10″ Stacker—Painter’s Pallet by Joy Studio, 2 x 5″ Stackers—In the Meadow by Keera Job, Riley Blake Designs Spray Mister Bottle, 9.5″ Cute Cuts Trim It Ruler by Lori Holt of Bee in my Bonnet, 1 Pack Lauren Nash Washi Tape, 4″ Magnetic Pin Bowl by Pleasant Home. A $110 value
- June Tailor: Quilt As You Go Wine Totes—3 pack, Quilt As You Go Pillow Cover—3 pack, Quilt As You Go Tree Skirt—one pack, Quilt As You Go Placemat—Venice Pattern, Quilt As You Go Table Runner—Venice Pattern and Starch Savvy, 16 ounce trigger. An $80 value
- Nancy Zieman Productions: NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack and Afternoon Picnic Quilt Pattern. A $72 value
- Stitch it! Sisters: NEW! Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging/Table Runner Bundle Box. Including: NEW! Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging/Table Runner Pattern, Riley Blake Cotton Fabrics and Clover’s Ultimate Quilt ’n Stitch Presser Foot by Nancy Zieman. A $62 value
- Sewing With Nancy: Five Random Winners of Nancy Zieman The Rest of the Story—A Memoir of Faith, Family, and Friends Book with DVD by Richard Zieman. A $24.95 value (each)
Enter the Nancy Zieman Productions Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge today!
- Join the 2019 NZP Table Runner Sewing Challenge by stitching a table runner and showcasing your sewing and quilting talents. Table runner entries may be any color palette, feature any sewing, quilting, or machine embroidery techniques, and must be a size that fits on a kitchen or dining table—use your imagination!
- Enter one table runner that has been sewn within the last year and has not been entered into a previous Nancy Zieman Productions Table Runner Sewing Challenge.
- How to enter: Send one high-resolution image of your table runner to [email protected] by 5 p.m. CT on Tuesday, October 22, 2019. Include your full name, hometown, and a sentence or two about your table runner.
- All table runner entries will be judged, and winning quilts will receive a prize from our generous sponsors! Explore the full list of prizes, totaling over $700 (see above).
- Winners will be announced, here at the NZP Blog, on October 29, 2019.
Share your progress on social media throughout the challenge by using #NZPTableRunner2019! The NZP Team will post winning entries on October 29—right here at the NZP Blog. Be sure to sign up for enews updates from the NZP Team.
Nancy Zieman Productions Giveaway!
For a chance to be the random winner of a No-Hassle Triangles Gauge by Nancy Zieman Productions for Clover, please leave a comment sharing your thoughts and interest in joining the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Table Runner Sewing Challenge!
All youth, age 15 and under, are invited to participate in the NEW! 2019 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge! Enter the challenge by purchasing the Official 2019 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Cinch Sack Kit, at the NEW! NZP Shop. Quantities are limited! Find challenge details in the September 24 NZP Blog Posting.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC.