NEW! Rag Quilt Sewing Tutorial made with NEW! Autumn Comfort Flannel Fabrics
🍁 NEW! Rag Quilt Sewing Tutorial by the Stitch it! Sisters. Plus SAVE 20% Off NEW! Autumn Comfort Flannel Fabrics by Kanvas Studio for Benartex during our 🍁Fall Savings SALE🍁 at ShopNZP.com.
Find ease and comfort in all the wonderful colors and bounty Autumn has to offer! From falling leaves to pretty pumpkins and luscious pears – these fabrics will wrap you in the warmth and serenity of the season. The scrolls, florals, and geometric coordinates are simply stunning – and your Autumn Comfort projects will be as well. This 100% Brushed Cotton fabric is great for sewing accessories, home decor, and quilts! We’re sharing 12″ electronic fabric swatches in today’s blog posting!
Flannel Rag Quilt Throw Sewing Tutorial
Sew a quick and easy patchwork throw made with simple squares and frayed raw edges. The sewing is fun and the seaming technique is the featured technique in this rag quilt style throw – an ideal project for beginner sewists!
- Assorted New! Autumn Comfort Flannel Fabrics – we’re featuring eight prints
- Spring Loaded Rag Quilting Snips
- Rotary Cutter, 6″ x 24″ Ruler, and Mat
- Clover Wonder Clips or Pins
- Clover 6-in-1 Stick ‘n Stick Seam Guide
- Clover Stilletto/Awl
- Coordinating Thread
- Schmetz Jeans Denim Needles Size 90/14
Flannel Rag Quilt Throw Sewing Tutorial
Approx. Finished Size: 50″ W x 60″ L
Read all directions before beginning. All Seam Allowances 1/2″.
Determine desired throw size and patchwork layout. Today, we’re sharing a 50″ x 60″ flannel rag quilt throw with 5″ finished quilt blocks. Our 50″ x 60″ throw quilt features 120 blocks: 10 blocks wide and 12 blocks long.
- Using Rotary Cutter, 6″ x 24″ Ruler, and Cutting Mat, cut 240 assorted 6″ New! Autumn Comfort Flannel Fabrics fabric squares. Cut 6″ crosswise fabric strips, and subcut into 6″ fabric squares or quilt blocks.
When cutting fleecy or lofty fabrics, flip your rotary cutting mat over and cut fabrics on the reverse side of the cutting mat. Because fleece and flannel fabric fibers may stick within the rotary cutting lines on a cutting mat, using the reverse side of the mat will protect the front of the mat and extend the life of the mat.
Determine Block Partners
Our Flannel Rag Quilt is a quilt-as-you-go project! The quilt top and quilt back will be sewn together in one easy step.
- Choose block partners: One fabric will be the quilt top and the second fabric will be the quilt back.
- Place quilt block partners wrong sides together. Wonder Clip or Pin.
If your sewing machine has dual feed, like our Bernina B970, engage the dual feed when stitching together the fabric layers!
Insert a new Schmetz Jeans Denim Needles Size 90/14 and set sewing machine for a straight stitch with a 2.5 mm stitch length.
- Stitch two block partners wrong sides together (four fabric layers), with 1/2″ seam allowances, using Clover 6-in-1 Stick ‘n Stick Seam Guide.
- Repeat steps above and stitch all 120 quilt block partners into pairs, paring dark fabrics with light fabrics.
Patchwork Quilt Layout
- Place quilt block pairs in desired quilt layout: 10 blocks wide and 12 blocks long.
Stitch Block Pairs
- Stitch block pairs wrong sides together with 1/2″ seam allowances, and create rows of five pairs (10 quilt blocks).
Stitch Quilt Rows
- Stitch block rows together with 1/2″ seam allowance, using Clover Stilletto/Awl to guide seam allowances under presser foot.
- Repeat steps above and assemble quilt/throw with 10 quilt blocks wide by 12 quilt blocks long.
- Edgestitch along all four quilt edges with 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Using Spring Loaded Rag Quilting Snips, “clip” quilt outer edges, and all seam allowances, with 1/2″ clips. Note: Take care to not cut stitching lines. When quilt is washed, seam allowances will ravel and create the rag quilt edges.
Join the 2022 Nancy Zieman Productions Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge!
Choose any pattern or design ideas, then enter the Fall 2022 Table Runner Sewing Challenge. Deadline to enter is October 25, 2022.
How to Enter
2022 Nancy Zieman Productions Table Runner Sewing Challenge Guidelines
- Select or create your design. All sewing, quilting, serging, machine embroidery, and/or embellishment techniques are eligible. Table Runner must be made within the last year and may not have been entered into previous NZP Table Runner Sewing Challenges.
- How to enter: Send ONE high-resolution quality image of your finished Table Runner to [email protected] by 11:59 p.m. CST on Tuesday, October 25, 2022. Include your full name, hometown, and a sentence or two about your Table Runner.
- One entry per person; open to US residents in the 48 contiguous states only.
- All Table Runners will be judged, and winning entries will receive a prize from our generous sponsors!
- Grab our Table Runner Sewing Challenge blog badge and let your friends know about this fun Sewing Challenge.
- Share your progress and projects on your social media sites using the hashtag #NZPTableRunnerChallenge2022
- October 1, 2022—Table Runner Challenge Kick Off
- October 25, 2022—Table Runner Challenge Entry Deadline
- October 26, 2022—A Panel of Judges Review Entries
- October 29, 2022—Winners Announced! All decisions made by judges are final.
Are you traveling through the Wisconsin countryside this fall? Make plans to visit the The Nancy Had a Notion History Exhibit! The exhibit will be on display on the 2nd floor of The Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio–Now easily accessible by our new elevator, Monday through Saturday this fall!
Join our NEW! Quilting Group–meeting the second Thursday of each month–at The Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio! Sign Up in-store or online, Today at ShopNZP.com!
View the NEW! Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio Class Schedule and Sign Up for classes in-store, or online at ShopNZP.com!
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2022 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.