Fun Fabric Face Coverings Sewing Tutorial and NEW! Sasquatch Fabrics at ShopNZP.com
Sew a fun fabric face covering and spread some cheer! Make a fun fabric face covering – for everyone in the family. Who are your list is the social distancing champion? Maybe you need your “space”? Someone been spending lots of time in the Zoom universe? Do you have the purrfect person in mind that would enjoy a cat or tiger face covering? .
The NEW! Everyday Mask Collection by Riley Blake Designs is available at ShopNZP.com and is printed on 100% cotton poplin with a premium 205 thread count. Preprinted fabric panel features fun and funky face mask rectangles to cut and sew. Includes 8 adult size and 8 youth size mask pieces. Adult cut size is 7 1/4″ x 8 1/2″ and finished size is approximately 4″ x 8″. Youth cut sizes is 5 1/2″ x 6 3/4″ and finished size is approximately 3 1/4″ x 6 1/4″. Panel size is 24″ x 43 1/2″.
NEW! Face Mask Sasquatch Fabrics feature a “Social Distancing Champion” icon with Sasquatch on a background of dashed lines with pine trees and big footprints.
When making fabric face coverings, pair the NEW! Face Mask Fabrics and Panel with 1/4″ Elastic, 1/2″ Elastic Cord Stops, and Cotton Poplin Fabric by Riley Blake! Cotton Poplin is 100% cotton with a premium 205 thread count. (Standard quilting cottons are around 68 thread count). Cotton Poplin features distinctive fine horizontal threads and close weave – for a soft feel. Cotton Poplin is a thin yet durable fabric that drapes well while retaining sturdiness. Cotton Poplin is an ideal fabric choice for sewing blouses, shirts, quilting, and fabric face coverings.
Fabric Face Covering Sewing Tutorial
This project uses 1/4″ seam allowances. Read all instructions before beginning.
Approximate finished size: 4″ x 8″.
Fabric Face Covering Supplies Listing
- 1 Panel NEW! Every Day Face Mask Fabric Panel
- Coordinating 100% Cotton Red Poplin Fabric
- One Pkg. 1/4″ Elastic
- One Pkg. 1/2″ Elastic Cord Stops
- Coordinating Metrosene Plus Sewing Thread
- Schmetz Denim Needle Sz. 80
- Clover’s Wonder Clips
- Clover’s Heart Shaped Straight Pins
- Clover’s Awl Stiletto
- Clover’s 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- Clover’s I Sew For Fun Fabric Marking Pen
- Clover’s 5-1/8″ Bordeaux Ultimate Scissors
- June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy
- Tailor’s Clapper
- EZ-View Pressing Cloth
- Flex ‘n Glide Bodkin or Crochet Hook
- Elastic Cord Stops
- 45 mm Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, and Rotary Cutting Ruler
We’re featuring one adult mask made with the NEW! Everyday Mask Collection by Riley Blake Designs, coordinating 100% Cotton Red Poplin Fabric, 1/4″ Elastic, and NEW! 1/2″ Elastic Cord Stops.
Preshrink fabric and fabric panel by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time, and then spray press and starch fabric with June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy— press and starch, press and starch.
- Using Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, and Rotary Cutting Ruler cut out desired face mask design, along outer printed edge.
- Place desired cut out face mask rectangle right sides together to Red Cotton Poplin Fabric.
- Using Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, and Rotary Cutting Ruler cut one rectangle from coordinating Red Cotton Poplin Fabric.
- Cut two 7-1/2″ to 12″ lengths of 1/4″ elastic for mask ear loops.
Cut elastic for ear loops at longer lengths – to allow comfort sizing adjustability – when using 1/2″ Elastic Cord Stops! After making a few face masks, you’ll find your desired custom elastic ear loop lengths.
- Pin elastic ear loops 1/4″ inside top and bottom mask edges, along both left and right side seams, as shown.
Begin stitching seam on an anchor cloth (folded fabric scrap). Stitch directly from the anchor cloth onto mask assembly, without cutting threads!
- Press side seams flat, then press towards mask assembly.
- Using a 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge, measure a 2-1/2″ to 3″ opening along lower mask bottom seam.
- Mark opening with Wonder Clips or Pins.
- Stitch top and bottom mask seams. Using a Stiletto/Awl, “wrap” seam allowances toward mask assembly and catch within the seams.
- Along lower bottom seam, stitch to either side of opening, removing Wonder Clips/Pins as you sew.
- Press seams flat, then press towards mask assembly.
- Using Clover’s 5-1/8″ Bordeaux Ultimate Scissors clip “dog–ears” at corners.
- Turn mask right side out using Point 2 Point Turner.
- Press. Press seams flat with Tailor’s Clapper.Press with caution to not iron over elastic! To avoid direct contact with elastic, press with an EZ-View Pressing Cloth.
Optional: Insert nose strip band, or coated wire, to mask inner top seam allowance. Topstitch around wire to hold in place.
- Using a 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge and fabric marking pen, measure and mark 1″ from top and bottom edges – along both left and right edges.
- Place second markings 1″ inside both top and bottom markings – along both left and right edges.
Optional: For deeper pleats, instead place second markings at 1-1/2″ inside both top and bottom markings – along both left and right edges.
- Fold mask, meeting markings, and creating pleats. Wonder Clip.
Fold top pleat facing mask tap; and bottom pleat facing mask bottom.
- Topstitch around all outer mask edges. Use a Stiletto/Awl to assist feeding pleats under presser foot.
- Topstitch a second time – around all outer mask edges.
Topstitching around outer mask edges also closes opening at lower bottom mask!
- Use the flat end of a Flex ‘n Glide Bodkin, or Crochet Hook and insert 1/4″ Elastic into round opening of Elastic Cord Stop – for a comfortable adjustable ear loop option!
- Our fun and festive fabric face covering is complete!
Making adjustable adult face masks is a cinch – with 1/2″ Elastic Cord Stops! Ideal for use with 1/4″ wide elastics, Cord Stops feature a 3/8” oval opening at one edge, and a narrower 1/8” round opening at opposite edge. The oval opening accommodates insertion of elastic, while the round opening grips the elastic!
NEW! Face Mask Sasquatch Fabrics are 100% Cotton and are great for quilting, stitching accessories, home decor, gift bags, AND for sewing aprons and coordinating fabric face coverings with Mary Mulari’s NEW! Viola Reversible Apron Pattern with bonus multi-sized Fabric Face Mask Pattern! Now available at ShopNZP.com.
Sew a Happy Holiday and spread some Christmas Cheer! Make Fun and Festive Fabric Face Covering – for everyone in the family. Who on your list will receive the Laughing Santa? The Smiling Snowman? The Red-Nosed Reindeer? The Mighty Nutcracker? Or The Guy with the Green Grin? Continue the festive fun and sew someone a special Peppermint Candy. Or be HOLLY JOLLY and spread some JOY, share a sentiMINT, and then everyone will surely know you’re on the NICE LIST!
NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins are fast and fun to make! Make one or more of our NEW! Sew Organized Fabric Bins – to coordinate with your sewing space, or any room in your home! 10″ x 10″ x 10″ Fabric Bins fit standard cube organizers, or set on a shelf!
Sew a Fun Fabric Caddy in four hours – and tidy your sewing space — or use in any room of your home. The sewing is easy with just a few fabric rectangles and squares. Plus, pattern includes instructions for our Fabric Bin made from four 10″ fabric squares! In a couple evenings of sewing, you’ll have a unique fabric caddy & fabric bin set – that also make great gifts!
Make a Big-Bigger Laundry Bag that expands to handle laundry and/or storage needs. It’s a bag or tote that has both function and style! Reverse the Big-Bigger Laundry Bag for a whole new look. The sewing is streamlined with a few rectangles of sturdy canvas fabric and cotton quilting fabric. Our sewing tutorial includes adding secondary handles – that lend versatility to the Big-Bigger Laundry Bag!
Showcase your sewing, quilting, and/or machine embroidery talents! The Nancy Zieman Productions Team is excited to announce our 2021 Viewer’s Showcase, taking place February 1–28, 2021! You’re invited to submit up to five different project photo(s) of project(s) you’ve been making from one or more of Team NZP’s Books, Patterns, Tools, Videos, and/or Blog Tutorials. Team NZP will share project photos in an upcoming March Viewer’s Showcase posting on The Nancy Zieman Productions Blog. Email hi-res photo(s) along with your name and hometown city and state to [email protected], by February 28, 2021. You could win one of the 2021 Viewer’s Showcase Giveaways valued at over $200!
Thank you, Sharen D. for sending your Fabric Bin photo for The 2021 NZP Viewer’s Showcase! Sharen made her fabric bin with Team NZP’s Sew Organized Fabric Caddy and Fabric Bin Pattern! Great Job! Email your project photos today to to [email protected]!
Shop NEW! Fabrics, Elastic, & More at ShopNZP.com
NEW! at ShopNZP.com! 3D Face Mask Template by Riley Blake
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2021 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.