2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge Announced
You’re invited to participate in the Nancy Zieman Productions 2019 Pillow Sewing Challenge. Brainstorm, browse, design, and plan. Then, sew a pillow! Enter the NZP 2019 Pillow Sewing Challenge by emailing your image to [email protected].
Make a pillow to showcase your sewing talents. Entries may be for any occasion, any color, or any size (that fits on a sofa or comparable household furniture). Sew a pillow using as much imagination as you like. You may enter ONE pillow: Pillow must be completed within the last year and not entered in previous Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenges.
2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge Guidelines
- Select or create your design.
- All sewing, quilting, serging, machine embroidery, and embellishment techniques are eligible!
- You may enter ONE pillow: It must be completed within the last year and not entered in previous Nancy Zieman Pillow Challenges.
- Grab our Pillow Sewing Challenge blog badge and let your friends know about this fun Sewing Challenge.
- Email your photo to [email protected] by March 19, 2019. One entry per sewist; open to continental US residents only.
- A panel of judges will review entries
- Elected winners will be announced, here at the NZP BLOG, on March 26, 2019.
Afternoon Picnic Floating Star Pillow Tutorial
Nancy Zieman’s NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack from Riley Blake Designs. We’ve selected one fat quarter of each of the following fabrics: Afternoon Picnic Blue Gingham, Afternoon Picnic Cream Main, Afternoon Picnic Blue Rose, Afternoon Picnic Cream Tonal, Afternoon Picnic Blue Tonal, Afternoon Picnic Blue Flower, Afternoon Picnic Blue Floral, and Afternoon Picnic Blue Main.
Optional: Use Clover’s No-Hassle Triangles Gauge by Nancy Zieman to create half-square triangles!
Cut Fabric Squares
- Cut four 3-1/2″ squares of Afternoon Picnic Blue Gingham and Afternoon Picnic Cream Main
- Cut four 3-7/8″ squares of Afternoon Picnic Blue Rose, Afternoon Picnic Cream Tonal, Afternoon Picnic Blue Tonaland Afternoon Picnic Blue Flower.
- Cut four 3-1/2″ by 6-1/2″ rectangles of Afternoon Picnic Blue Floral
- Cut one 6-1/2″ square of Afternoon Picnic Blue Main
Create Block for Pillow Front
Floating Stars Pillow Half-Squares
- Create eight half-square triangle blocks with 3-7/8″ squares cut from Afternoon Picnic Blue Rose and Afternoon Picnic Cream Tonal.
- Create eight half-square triangle blocks with 3-7/8″ squares cut from Afternoon Picnic Blue Tonal, and Afternoon Picnic Blue Flower.
- Stack two squares, right sides together.
- Mark each block set from one corner to the opposite corner with marking pen and No-Hassle Triangles Gauge or ruler.
- Set machine for scant 1/4″ seam. Align edge of presser foot with marked line, and stitch along one edge.
- Chain stitch blocks! Kiss the next block set to the stitched block, and chain stitch from one to the next.
- Rotate blocks and chain stitch along the second side of the marked line. Clip threads between blocks.
- Layout block following diagram. Rotate squares as necessary.
- Chain stitch from one square set to the next. Clip threads between. Press seams open or to one side.
- Continuing working in pairs to join all squares.
- Place square sets, right sides together, in pairs. Chain stitch from one square set to the next. Clip threads between sets. Press seams open or to one side.
- Chain stitch from one square set to the next. Clip threads between sets. Press seams open or to one side. Place square sets, right sides together, to form rows. Press seams open or to one side.
- Stitch rows together to create complete block. Press seams open or to one side.
- One Afternoon Picnic Floating Star quilt block 18-1/2″ x 18-1/2″ (above)
- 3/8 yard Afternoon Picnic Cream Main for pillow back
- 7″ length of hook and loop tape
- One 18″ pillow form insert
Create 18″ pillow back using two fabric rectangles cut 18-1/2″ x 12-1/4″ — Follow Envelope Pillow Back instructions over at our Make an Easy Envelope Back Lattice Pillow Blog Posting.
Enter the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge
Sew a pillow and enter the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge by emailing a photo to [email protected] It’s easy! See entry details above.
- February 26, 2019—Pillow Sewing Challenge Opens
- March 19, 2019—Pillow Sewing Challenge Deadline to Enter
- March 20–March 25, 2019—A Panel of Judges Reviews Entries
- March 26, 2019—Winners Announced! All decisions made by judges are final.
Sew Floating Stars Quilt with the Afternoon Picnic Lap and Double/Queen Quilt Pattern
2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge
Over $1,000 in prizes!
Thank you to our generous sponsors!
- June Tailor Shape Cut Ruler, Cut ‘n Press II, T-shirt Transformation Ruler, T-shirt Project, Fusible Interfacing, Quilt As You Go: Casablanca Placemats, Morning Blend Table Runner, Sophisticated Strips Quilt, Baby Bibs and Uplifting Inspirational Mug Mat. $210 value
- dime Designs in Machine Embroidery The Flower Box Quilt and the Quilting Stabilizer Bundle $140 value
- Riley Blake Designs Lori Holt includes a Farm Girl Vintage Fat Quarter Bundle, Lori Holt Chunky Thread, Lori Holt Pretty Pins, a Lori Holt Happy Charm, and a pair of Riley Blake Designs Embroidery Scissors. $130 value
- Clover Wonder Fuse, The Ultimate Quilt ’n Stitch Presser Foot, Roll & Press, Wonder Clips, Snag Repair Needles and a Magnet Pin Caddy. $110 value
- C&T Publishing, $100 code toward the purchase of any product on the C&T Publishing website ctpub.com a $100 value
- Pellon EZ-Steam II Sheets: EZ25S, EZ Steam II Tape: EZ2-20T, EZ-Steam II Tape: EZ2-40T, Fabric Magic: PMAGIC301, Fuse-N-Tear: 371R, 100% Cotton Jelly Roll Batting Strip: FJR-2525, Decorative Pillows Twin Pack: 2DPI1818, Indian Cotton Fabric 300 Count Ivory: 300TC2024IVY, Indian Cotton Fabric 300 Count White: 300TC2024WHT, Nature’s Touch 100% Cotton Craft Size: F/NCP-3445, Polyester Batting Craft Size: PB-3445. $85 value
- Inspiring-Stitches Four pack of the Sew Hometown Block of the Month pattern. $80 value
- Nancy’s Notions New! Learn How to English Paper Piece Starter Set. The set includes the book, which is a collaboration between Nancy’s Notions and Carolina Moore, 1″ Hexagon Paper Pieces, 1½” Hexagon Paper Pieces, Fabric Glue Pen, Fiskars Micro Tip Scissors, Best Press Starch Alternative-No Scent and InvsiaFil Winter Sky Gray Thread . $79 value
- Nancy Zieman Productions NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack and Afternoon Picnic Quilt Pattern. $72 value
- Mary’s Productions and Mary Mulari Family Girls Apron Pattern, Hipster Apron Pattern, Table Topping Pattern, Adventures with 5-inch Fabric Squares and more a $60 value
- The Best of Sewing With Nancy Nancy Zieman The Rest of The Story, by Richard Zieman, book and DVD and I Sew For Fun, by Nancy Zieman, book and DVD. $45 value
Be sure to join in and follow the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge at the NZP Blog. Deadline to enter is, Tuesday, March 19, 2019! See entry details above.
For a chance to win Nancy Zieman’s New! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack please leave a comment below and let us know if you’ll be joining the Nancy Zieman Productions 2019 Pillow Sewing Challenge!
The randomly selected winner of a Carefree Curves Template Set, is Mary Wallis.
Her comment is: I love your Carefree Curves template set. I have always been fascinated by the drunkards path quilt pattern, but never courageous enough to tackle it. These templates and Nancy’s instructions would make it so much easier to make!
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC.