January 2020 NZP Block of the Month: Circle Block
Nancy’s Red Elegance
2020 Block of the Month January: Circle Block
Introducing the first of 12 FREE! Quit Block Tutorials for the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series! The Circle Block is a great block to start off the new year and our NEW! Monthly Mystery Quilt Series!
Earlier this month, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series. Join the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, anytime, by viewing the Basic Supplies and Tools Listing in the January 1, 2020 NZP BoM20 Kick Off Blog Posting.
On the third Saturday of each month, we’ll feature one block design, and we’ll be stitching one or more blocks of the same design each month. The blocks are created using Our NEW! Red Elegance Fabric Collection by Riley Blake and the Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover. Follow along as we show step-by-step how to create the January Circle Block.
January Circle Block
NOTE: This block is 8-1/2″ square; 8″ finished square when sewn into finished quilt.
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
Cut Fabric for the Block
- Cut one 8-1/2″ background square of Red Elegance Main Cream.
- Cut one 7″ square of Red Elegance Main Taupe – for the center circle.
- Cut one 7″ square Pellon SofShape Fusible Interfacing
For this first block of the m0nth in the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, we’re sharing Nancy Zieman’s techniques for creating a perfect circle – without ever cutting a circle!
Construct the Block
Create the Center Circle Appliqué
- Place 7″ background square of Red Elegance Main Taupe to 7″ square Pellon SofShape Fusible Interfacing – matching smooth side of the fusible interfacing to right side of fabric. Pin.
- Position the Circle Template on the interfacing, centering the template on the interfacing square.
- With a fabric marking pen and Circle Template, trace a 6″ circle on the onto the interfacing – tracing along the yellow lines at the die cut openings.
- Stitch directly on the marked line using a slightly shorter stitch length.
- With a 45mm Rotary Cutting and Pinking Blade, trim away excess fabric, leaving about a 1/4″ seam allowance on the outside of stitching line.
- Carefully cut away the center of the interfacing, leaving about 1″ of interfacing at the inside of stitching line.
- Use Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner, and smooth the curved edge as the interfacing is turned to the wrong side.
Topstitch Appliqué to Block Background
- Fold the background square in half, then in quarters to determine the center, use a Roll ‘n Press, or ‘finger press’ along the folded edges.
- Fold the center circle applique in half, then in quarters to determine the center, use a Roll ‘n Press, or ‘finger press’ along the folded edges. Open.
- Layer the circle applique onto the background square aligning fold lines. Pin.
The Nancy’s Red Elegance January Circle Block is complete! NOTE: Stitch only ONE January Circle Block .
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 112: Carefree Curves in Quilts!
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing your thoughts about the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series and/or The January Circle Block. Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
The randomly selected winner of a set of eight Landscape Quilt Note Cards by Nancy Zieman, from the January 11 Blog Post, Nancy Zieman Original Giclée Canvas Landscape Art Print: Moon Lit Birches, is Diana Todd.
Her comment is: I don’t think I could choose one if I had to ! They are all amazing! I am saving scraps now to try making one myself . They are stunning!
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.