February 2020 NZP Block of the Month: Hearts & Gizzards Block
Nancy’s Red Elegance
2020 Block of the Month February: Hearts & Gizzards Block
Introducing the second of 12 FREE! Quit Block Tutorials for the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series! The Hearts & Gizzards Block is a great block to sew in February and celebrate Valentine’s Day – Happy Valentine’s Day!
In January, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series. Join the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, anytime, by viewing the Basic Supplies and Tools Listing in the January 1, 2020 NZP BoM20 Kick Off Blog Posting.
On the third Saturday of each month, we’re featuring one block design, and we’ll be stitching one or more blocks of the same design each month. The blocks are created using Our NEW! Red Elegance Fabric Collection by Riley Blake and the Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover. Follow along as we show step-by-step how to create the February Hearts & Gizzards Block.
February Hearts & Gizzards Block
NOTE: This block is 8-1/2″ square; 8″ finished square when sewn into finished quilt.
For the Nancy’s Red Elegance February Hearts & Gizzards Block, select the following fabrics from the NEW! Red Elegance Fat Quarter Bundle along with the “Circle” Template from the Carefree Curves Template Set.
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
Cut Fabrics for the February Hearts & Gizzards Block
- Cut seven 2-1/2″ crosswise strips of Pellon SofShape Fusible Interfacing. Note: Each strip will measure 2-1/2″x 20″.
For this second block of the month in the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, we’re sharing Nancy Zieman’s techniques for creating the curvy Hearts & Gizzards block – without ever piecing a single curve!
Construct the Block
Create the Hearts & Gizzards Appliqué
- Align the Hearts & Gizzards Template to the wrong side of one 6″ Red Elegance Wallpaper Taupe crosswise fabric strip. Place the “Fabric Edge” red line marking (on the smallest template) to fabric top edge.
- Using a Fabric Marking Pen, trace around the smallest Hearts & Gizzards Template shape: Starting at one edge, trace both sides of template and around curved die-cut area – along the red curved line.
- Rotate template 180-degrees and align smallest template “Fabric Edge” (red line marking) along bottom fabric edge. Trace curved die-cut area and remaining side.
- Repeat tracing and rotating – and trace 16 Hearts & Gizzard shapes on the wrong side of the Red Elegance Wallpaper Taupe and 16 Hearts & Gizzard shapes on the wrong side of the Red Elegance Wallpaper Berry.
- Using a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat, Cut along side straight traced lines only. NOTE: Do not cut along curved traced lines.
- Cut a total of 16 triangle shapes from Red Elegance Wallpaper Taupe, and 16 triangle shapes from Red Elegance Wallpaper Berry.
- Align top edge of one fabric triangle to long straight edge of one Pellon SofShape Fusible Interfacing strip, with right side of fabric to the smooth non-fusible side of the interfacing. Pin. Rotate and position top of next fabric triangle along the lower edge of the interfacing strip; pin. Repeat rotating, positioning, and pinning remaining fabric triangles to the smooth non-fusible side of the remaining interfacing strips.
- Set sewing machine for a short 2.0-2.5 mm stitch length, and stitch along the curved marked lines using a Size 75 Schmetz Quilting Needle.
- Using a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat, cut interfacing strips between triangle fabric shapes.
- Using a 45mm Rotary Cutting and Pinking Blade, trim away excess fabric and interfacing, leaving about 1/4″ seam allowance on the outside of the curved stitching line.
- With a fabric shears, carefully trim away excess interfacing, leaving about 1″ of interfacing on the inside of the curved stitching line.
- Repeat steps, trimming remaining fabric triangles.
Using Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner, smooth the curved seam as the fusible side of the interfacing is turned to the wrong side of the fabric.
- Using a Mini Iron, press interfacing to fabric wrong side, and create the Hearts & Gizzards applique shape!
- Repeat steps, pressing interfacing to wrong side of all 32 Hearts & Gizzards applique shapes.
Clover’s Mini Iron has a nice compact-size pressing tip for pressing small shapes, and small areas.
- Place two Berry Hearts & Gizzards shapes to opposing corners of 0ne Taupe background half-square triangle. Pin.
- Place two Taupe Hearts & Gizzards shapes to opposing corners of 0ne Berry background half-square triangle. Pin.
- Using Monofilament Thread, machine-stitch Hearts & Gizzards shapes to background half-square triangles, using a narrow blind-hem stitch, blanket stitch, zigzag stitch, or straight stitch.
- Place opposing half-square triangles right sides together. Pin.
- Stitch center seam using a scant 1/4″ seam allowance. Press seam open.
To create an 8-1/2″ finished block, be sure to stitch opposing half-square triangles together using a scant 1/4″ seam allowance. If seam is stitched with a full 1/4″ seam or larger, the block will measure less than 8-1/2″ finished!
- Press seam open and trim away extra seam allowances, also know as dog ears.
The Nancy’s Red Elegance February Hearts & Gizzards Block is complete!
- Repeat steps above, and create EIGHT Hearts & Gizzards Blocks!
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing your thoughts about our NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series and/or The February Hearts & Gizzards Block.
Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions. Email The NZP Team at [email protected]
Her comment is: Currently finishing a child’s fake-fur lined poncho. I’ve only sewn with knits once ( helped make a friend’s friend a dress for wedding wear in 1981!) So a pattern with good instructions about knit fabric sewing will be very helpful.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.