Stitch It! Sisters Clever Coverstitch Bag – Stitching Tutorial
Clever Coverstitch Serger Bag Sewing Project on Stitch it! Sisters with Deanna Springer and guest Pam Mahshie, Overlock Business Manager for BERNINA USA. Today we’re sharing how to cut, prep, and use coverstitching on outer bag front and back. Shop Our Fall Savings Sale now thru October 31, 2023 and Save up to 33% off Select Products and Fabrics in store at the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio in downtown Beaver Dam WI, and online at Nancy Zieman Productions! Plus FREE SHIPPING WEEKEND is on at ShopNZP.com
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Clever Coverstitch Serger Bag Program 312
Learn how to make our Clever Coverstitch Bag–designed by Pam–completely with an Overlock/Coverstitch Combo Serger! Stitch our beautiful Clever Coverstitch Bag while learning serger settings for: 4-thread wide and narrow overlock seaming with fusible thread, coverstitch single needle chainstitching for serger quilting, narrow coverstitching with decorative threads, and wide coverstitching for construction!
In this video, we’re stitching Pam’s Clever Coverstitch Bag–completely on a BERNINA L890 Air-Threading Overlock/Coverstitch Combo Serger!
Head over to ShopNZP.com and find our Clever Coverstitch Bag Bundle Boxes that include Benartex Daisy Delight Fabrics by Greta Lynn for Kanvas Studio, Pellon 1-Sided Fusible Foam, three spools Sulky 12 wt. Decorative Threads, Charlotte’s Fusible Web Thread, our exclusive Clever Coverstitch Serger Bag Sewing Pattern with step-by-step instructions with color illustrations and photos, and everything you’ll need to make a Clever Coverstitch Serger Bag on a Overlock/Coverstitch Combo Serger! Now available in three limited edition colors, exclusively at ShopNZP.com!
Cut Fabrics and Supplies
- Cut two 10″ x 16″ rectangles from Daisy Delight fabric for outer lower bag front and back.
- Cut two 1-1/4″ x 22″ rectangles from Daisy Delight fabric for handle accents.
- Cut two 12″ x 16″ rectangles from Domino Effect White on Black fabric for bag lining.
- Cut two 3″ x 16″ rectangles from Domino Effect Black on Black fabric for upper bag front and back.
- Cut two 2-3/4″ x 22″ rectangles from Domino Effect Black on Black fabric for bag handles.
- Cut two 3″ x 16″ rectangles from Pellon Flex-Foam 1- Sided Fusible for upper bag front and back.
- Cut two 10″ x 16″ rectangles from Pellon Flex-Foam 1- Sided Fusible for lower bag front and back.
- Cut two 1-1/4″ x 22″ rectangles from Pellon Flex-Foam 1-Sided Fusible for bag handles.
- Cut 1 yd. Jumbo Rickrack for outer bag decorative trim.
Daisy Delight Fabric
Domino Effect White on Black Fabric
Domino Effect Black on Black Fabric
Pellon Flex-Foam 1-Sided Fusible Foam
Fuse Fabrics to Pellon Flex-Foam
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse Pellon Flex- Foam to wrong side of 10″ x 16″ rectangles from Daisy Delight fabric – for lower outer bag front and bag back.
Mark Bag Components for Stitching
- Using a Frixion Marking pen, and a 6″ x 24″ ruler, mark a center stitching line 1-1/2″ from bottom long edge, on wrong side of 3″ x 16″ rectangle upper outer bag front assembly.
- Repeat step above on upper outer bag back assembly.
- Using Clover’s Chaco Liner, and a 6″ x 24 ” ruler, mark a 60° diagonal stitching line on right side of lower outer bag front.
Continue marking parallel lines at 1-1/2″ apart.
Rotate ruler and mark 60° lines in opposite direction.
Repeat marking steps above on lower outer bag back
Convert Machine to Single Needle Chain Stitch & Stitch Lower Bag Quilting–we’re showing stitches on a bernette b68 Overlock/Coverstitch Combo Serger.
- With fabric right side up, stitch along marked lines using a single needle chainstitch–aligning marked line to center guideline marking on the toe of the presser foot, rotate and continue stitching on all marked lines, from anchor swatch onto bag lower front.
- Optional: Stitch from lower bag front assembly directly to lower bag back assembly.
- Repeat step above with lower bag back assembly.
Stitch Upper Bag Decorative Center Stitch
- Leave machine set for single needle chain stitch and replace standard overlock thread (black), thread chain looper with Sulky 12 wt. Cotton Thread (white).
- With 3″ x 16″ rectangle upper bag front assembly wrong side up, stitch along marked line with single needle chainstitch, aligning marked line to center guideline marking on presser foot toe.
Convert machine to a 3-Thread Wide Coverstitch.
- Flip bag front assembly over and re-stitch over previous coverstitching.
- Repeat steps above and attache upper bag back assembly to lower bag back assembly.
Stitch Upper Bag Decorative Stitches
- Convert machine to 3-Thread Narrow Coverstitch.
- Move needle to center needle position.
- Insert Sulky 12 wt. Cotton Thread (yellow) into chain looper.
- With bag assembly wrong side up, stitch along long side of center chain stitching – using the width of the presser foot as a guide.
- Rotate bag assembly, roll the bag assembly as shown. and stitch second decorative stitching line.
- Repeat steps above and stitch decorative narrow coverstitch stitching lines on bag back assembly.
Attach Jumbo Rickrack
Change both needle threads to coordinate with Rickrack!
- With bag front assembly right side up, stitch Rickrack to bag, guiding presser foot down center bag seam.
- Do not cut threads.
- Lift presser foot and insert bag back assembly right side up.
- Stitch Rickrack to bag back assembly.
- Cut apart.
- Set aside
Following pattern or video instructions, create and attach bag handles, add lining, and complete your Clever Coverstitch Bag!
Clever Coverstitch Bag Supplies Listing
• Clover’s Chaco Liners
• Frixion Marking Pen
• Clover’s Wonder Clips or
• Clover’s Jumbo Wonder Clips
• Clover’s 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
• Clover’s 7-3/4″ Bordeaux Ultimate Shears
• June Tailor’s Quilters Starch Savvy
• June Tailor’s Eze-View Pressing Cloth
• Schmetz Chrome Topstitching Needles Size 90
• #6 3/4″ Fasturn Tube Turner
• 4 Cones Standard Serger Overlock Thread
• 60mm Rotary Cutter
• 6″ x 24″ Rotary Cutting Ruler and Mat
• Clear Serger Presser Foot
• Optional: Spool Pin Adapter
“Have you ever wondered if your serger can do more than just seam finish the edge of fabrics? Our Clever Coverstitch Bag is a fun sewing project made completely on a serger/coverstich combo machine. Take your serger beyond the edge and discover the many ways your serger can be used creatively as well as functionally!”
— Pam Mahshie, BERNINA USA
Meet the NEW! bernette b68 AIRLOCK Overlock/Coverstitch Combo Serger! The bernette 68 is a combo machine with standard overlock, cover-, plus chain- and combo stitches. Plus easy air threading! Learn more at ShopNZP.com!
SAVE 25% Off the bernette b68 Overlock & Coverstitch Combo Serger at ShopNZP.com!
Shop Our Fall Savings Sale thru October 31, 2023 at Nancy Zieman Productions at ShopNZP.com and in store at the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio, downtown Beaver Dam WI!
The Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio is a BERNINA Excellence Dealer! Stop in and experience premium Swiss engineering in a wide range of sewing machines, sergers, and Q-Series long arm machines–to fit all your sewing needs–and purchase the machine of your dreams!
Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio
120 Front Street
Beaver Dam, WI 53916
NEW! Store Hours
Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
And by appointment
Parking Behind Store
NANCY ZIEMAN SEWING STUDIO
120 FRONT STREET
BEAVER DAM, WI 53916
Join the 2023 Nancy Zieman Productions Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge! Learn more at Oct. 3 Blog Posting.
Shop our FREE SHIPPING WEEKEND at ShopNZP.com
Team Nancy Zieman & The Stitch it! Sisters
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2023 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.