Potholder Plus Sewing Tutorial and NEW! Wildflower Boutique Bundle Boxes at ShopNZP.com
Make a Potholder Plus in just two hours with our easy step-by-step sewing tutorial–below! Our Potholder Plus features a pocket that’s ideal for holding a baking mix & wooden spoon, and giving as a gift! Finished Potholder Plus measures approx. 8-1/2″ x 9-1/2″. Our Potholder Plus sewing tutorial includes bias binding tips!
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus
Watch the Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey. In this video, the Stitch it! Sisters share step-by-step fabric cutting and sewing techniques for making NZP’s Potholder Plus. Plus Timesaving Binding Tips by Nancy Zieman!
Then, head over to ShopNZP.com and purchase our exclusive Potholder Plus Bundle Boxes! The Potholder Plus Bundle Boxes are available in two limited-edition colors and feature Wildflower Boutique Fabrics by Riley Blake Designs, Pellon InsulFleece, Pellon InsulFilm and our No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern – with Classic Timesaving Tips by Nancy Zieman. The Potholder Plus Bundle Boxes! includes everything you’ll need to make two assorted Potholder Plus’ and four coordinating towel toppers—you’ll supply the thread, buttons, and towels.
Make sewing projects for your home with Team NZP’s No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern. The sewing is streamlined with our easiest-ever sewing steps, and simple pattern shapes made from rectangles and squares.
Potholder Plus Sewing Tutorial
Approximate finished size: 8-1/2″ x 9-1/2″
Potholder Plus Tools & Supplies
- Exclusive NEW! Potholder Plus Bundle Box – Pattern included
- I Sew For Fun Heart Shaped Straight Pins
- Clover’s Pin ‘n Stow Magnetic Wrist Pin Cushion and/or I Sew For Fun Heart-Shaped Magnetic Covered Pin Caddy
- Clover’s 7-3/4″ Bordeaux Ultimate Shears
- I Sew For Fun Sew Safe Presser Foot or 1/4″ Quilting Presser Foot
- Quilter’s Starch Savvy
- Clover’s Rotary Cutter and Mat, & Ruler
- Schmetz Universal Needle
- Clover’s I Sew For Fun Wonder Clips, Clover’s Wrist Cushion for Wonder Clips
- Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker
- Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl
Pre-shrink two yards of coordinating fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time, and then spray press and starch fabric with June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy — press and starch, press and starch.
Pot Holder Plus Sewing Tutorial
Prepare Fabrics from the Potholder Plus Bundle Box
- Cut one Outer Fabric Rectangle 8-1/2″ x 7-1/2″, from Wildflower Boutique Green Fat Quarter Panel.
- Cut one Outer Fabric Rectangle 8-1/2″ x 10″ and one Inner Fabric Rectangle 8-1/2″ x 10″, from Wildflower Boutique Green Fat Quarter Panel.
- Cut one 8-1/2″ x 7-1/2″ rectangle from Pellon Sof-Shape Interfacing and one 8-1/2″ x 10″ rectangle from Pellon Sof-Shape Interfacing.
- Cut two 8-1/2″ x 10″ rectangles from Pellon Wrap-N-Zap.
- Cut one 8-1/2″ x 10″ rectangles from Pellon Insul-Fleece™.
- Cut one 6″ length grosgrain ribbon.
- Trace your Potholder Plus Pattern Pieces from the No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern and cut out Potholder Plus pocket, pocket ShirTailor interfacing, pot holder front fabric, two layers Wrap-N-Zap, one layer Insul-Fleece, potholder back fabric, and pot holder back ShirTailor interfacing.
- Cut out fabric pieces.
- Press ShirTailor interfacing to back of pot holder Pocket Fabric, and Potholder Back Fabric. Set aside pot holder pocket.
- Layer cut pieces in order: Pot holder back fabric, Wrap-N-Zap, Insul-Fleece, Wrap-N-Zap, pot holder front fabric – as detailed in the NEW! No-Hassle Kitchen Collection Pattern and in our Stitch it! Sisters Program 104: Potholder Plus video (above). Wonder Clip layers at edges.
- Use Wonder Clips to secure the layers together
- Baste stitch around potholder edges, using scant 1/4″ seams. Set pot holder aside.
- Cut 1-7/8″ bias fabric strips.
- Seam together 1-7/8″ bias fabric strips, using 1/4″ seams.
- Insert 1-7/8″ bias fabric strip into Clover’s 1″ Bias Tape Maker using Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl, to persuade fabric strip into maker.
- Press 1″ bias tape, as it exits the bias tape maker.
- For one Potholder Plus, you’ll need about 48″ of 1″ Bias Tape.
- Unfold one edge of the bias strip and align the raw edge with the edge of the pocket top.
- Pin in place.
- Stitching slightly to the right of the fold in the tape, stitch the bias strip to the pocket top with scant 1/4″ seam.
- Use Clover’s Wonder Clips to hold bias tape in place! Sewing binding is the original use for Wonder Clips!
- Press bias strip to the backside of the potholder pocket, covering the stitching line. Press bias strip to the backside of the potholder pocket, covering the stitching line.
- Stitch binding in place with a Schmetz Needle, stitching “in the ditch” (where the binding meets the fabric). Or, stitch near the bias tape edge – and you’ll be sure to catch the back of the binding in your stitching line!
- Layer pocket onto previously sewn potholder. Wonder Clip edges together.
- Turn over potholder, and add an optional 6″ ribbon hanging loop!
- Baste optional 6″ ribbon hanging loop to top of potholder. Keep this loop out-of-the-way of all future stitching! Use Clover’s Straight Tailor’s Awl to hold loop in place.
- Baste pocked edges to potholder.
- Press under 1/2″ at end of bias trim. Beginning at side, place right side of bias trim to right side of potholder. Use Wonder Clips to hold bias trim in place.
- Press bias trim to potholder back, covering the stitching line. Wonder Clip bias trim in place. Stitch, overlapping bias end over folded end.
- Attach bias trim using NZP’s Bias Binding Technique.
- Stitch bias binding in place with a Schmetz Needle, stitching “in the ditch” (where the binding meets the fabric). Or, stitch near the bias tape edge – and you’ll be sure to catch the back of the binding in your stitching line!
Customize Your Potholder Plus Color Palette:
Red & Yellow Wildflower Boutique No-Hassle Potholder Plus and Towel Topper Bundle Box
Green & Teal Wildflower Boutique No-Hassle Potholder Plus and Towel Topper Bundle Box
Sew a Cooler Grocery Tote! This stylish insulated shoulder tote features front pockets, self-fabric handles and works great for an afternoon picnic, or for picking up a few groceries. The sewing is streamlined with simple pattern shapes made from a rectangles and our easiest-ever Zipper Technique! Our Cooler Grocery Tote sewing tutorial features Insul-Fleece and Insul-Film on the inside! See how using the right sewing tools & supplies makes the sewing process enjoyable, even for beginners!
Make our No-Hassle Towel Topper in just two hours with our step-by-step sewing tutorial–below! Finished No-Hassle Towel Topper measures approximately 7-1/2″ x 20″. Sew this super-quick No Hassle Towel Topper with two fat quarters and a coordinating kitchen towel! We’re using Wildflower Boutique Fabrics! Showcase your kitchen style and hang this handy towel in your home, or RV. You’ll always know where your hand towel is hanging out!
Sew a Fun Fabric Caddy in four hours – and tidy your sewing space — or use in any room of your home. The sewing is easy with just a few fabric rectangles and squares. Plus, pattern includes instructions for our Fabric Bin made from four 10″ fabric squares! In a couple evenings of sewing, you’ll have a unique fabric caddy & fabric bin set – that also make great gifts!
Make a Big-Bigger Laundry Bag that expands to handle laundry and/or storage needs. It’s a bag or tote that has both function and style! Reverse the Big-Bigger Laundry Bag for a whole new look. The sewing is streamlined with a few rectangles of sturdy canvas fabric and cotton quilting fabric. Our sewing tutorial includes adding secondary handles – that lend versatility to the Big-Bigger Laundry Bag!
Showcase your sewing, quilting, and/or machine embroidery talents! The Nancy Zieman Productions Team is excited to announce our 2021 Viewer’s Showcase, taking place February 1–28, 2021! You’re invited to submit up to five different project photo(s) of project(s) you’ve been making from one or more of Team NZP’s Books, Patterns, Tools, Videos, and/or Blog Tutorials. Team NZP will share project photos in an upcoming March Viewer’s Showcase posting on The Nancy Zieman Productions Blog. Email hi-res photo(s) along with your name and hometown city and state to [email protected], by February 28, 2021. You could win one of the 2021 Viewer’s Showcase Giveaways valued at over $200!
Thank you, Sharen D. for sending your She’s Our Star Quilt photo for The 2021 NZP Viewer’s Showcase! Sharen just finished her quilt top following Team NZP’s FREE! 2018 She’s Our Star Block of the Month Series! Great Job! Email your project photos today to [email protected]!
For a chance to be the random winner of a 1″ Bias Tape Maker from Clover, please leave a comment below sharing which Potholder Plus colors you’d like to make – Red & Yellow or Green & Teal ?
Clover will give away one 1″ Bias Tape Maker to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2021 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.