NEW! 2020 Monogrammed Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorial & FREE! Applique Printable by Team NZP
You’re invited to join us for the 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge November 5–25, 2020! Stitch a Christmas Stocking and showcase your sewing and/or quilting talents. Stocking entries may be any color palette, and may feature any sewing, quilting, or machine embroidery techniques and/or embellishments—use your imagination! Enter one Christmas Stocking that has been sewn within the last year and has not been entered into previous Nancy Zieman Productions Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenges. All challenge details are listed near the bottom of today’s blog posting. You could win a prize from one of our generous 2020 Christmas Socking Sewing Challenge Sponsors!
Join the 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge!
Choose any design ideas, including Team NZP’s Monogramed Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorial(below), or choose one of our Classic NZP Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorials from our 2020 Christmas Stocking Round Up for inspiration, then enter the 2020 Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge. Deadline to enter is November 25, 2020.
Monogrammed Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorial!
From elegant to whimsical, Christmas stockings are a great way to add a pop of holiday cheer to any room. Plus, they can readily be sewn in just a few hours of enjoyable sewing time.
This project uses 1/4″ seam allowances. Read all instrucitons before beginning.
Approximate finished size: 14-1/2″ x 19.
Our NEW! Monogrammed Christmas Stocking, by The Nancy Zieman Productions Team, goes together in an afternoon of sewing and features an appliqued monogram—made from four Christmas Cotton Fabrics, purchased piping, and Pellon WonderUnder. Sew three or more of our 2020 festive stocking design with our super-easy step-by-step sewing directions, below.
Monogrammed Christmas Stocking
- Team NZP’s FREE! Downloadable Stocking Pattern PDF
- Team NZP’s FREE! Downloadable Monogram Applique Letters, Numbers, & Frame Printable PDF
- 1/2 yd. (or 1-1/2 yd. makes three stockings) Wild At Heart Buffalo Plaid Black Quilting Cotton Fabric for stocking front/back by Riley Blake Designs.
- 1/2 yd. (or 1-1/2 yd. makes three stockings) Wild At Heart Bears Black Quilting Cotton Fabric for stocking front/back by Riley Blake Designs.
- 1/2 yd. (or 1-1/2 yd. makes three stockings) Santa Cotton Shades Quilting Cotton Fabric for lining, hanging loop, and letter appliqué by Riley Blake Designs.
- 1/6 yd. Christmas Traditions Words Cream Fabric Quilting Cotton Fabric for appliqué background frame underlings by Riley Blake Designs.
- 1/6 yd. Off White Confetti Cottons Fabric Quilting Cotton Fabric for appliqué background frames by Riley Blake Designs.
- 1 pkg. (or 3 pkg. makes three stockings) Red or Scarlet Premade Piping. Or make your own piping using one fat quarter coordinating fabric.
- 1/2 yd. (or 1-1/2 yd. makes three stockings) Pellon Sew-In Fleece Batting
- 1-1/2 yd. (or 4-1/2 yd. makes three stockings) Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing
- 1 pkg. Pellon Wonder Under
- Piping & Cording Sewing Machine Presser Foot
- Open Toe Sewing Machine Presser Foot
- Schmetz Denim Needle Sz. 90
- Cardinal Red Metrosene Plus Sewing Thread
- Eggshell Metrosene Plus Sewing Thread
- Clover’s 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- Clover’s Wonder Clips
- Clover’s Straight Pins
- Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner
- Clover’s Fusible Web Tape
- 7-3/4″ Bordeaux Ultimate Shears
- Bordeaux Scissors Set for Applique
- June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy
- Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet
- EZ-View Pressing Cloth
- Fine Spray Mist Bottle
- Frixion Marking Pen
- 45 mm Rotary Cutter and Pinking Blade
- Optional: Quilter’s Basting Spray
- Optional: The Big Jig
- Optional: Tailors Clapper
- Print the stocking template at 80%. It’s a large image so opt to “tile large pages” if applicable. The template will print on four pages. After assembled and cut out—stocking shape will measure approximately 14- 1/2″ x 19″.
- Download the Stocking Template PDF and save to your computer’s desktop.
- Open the PDF and select “File”, then select “Print”.
- Select “Poster” or “Tile” under “Page Sizing & Handling”.
- Set “Tile Scale” to 80%.
- Check the “Cut marks” box.
- Click “Print”.
Please feel free to email Team NZP with questions at [email protected]. We’re glad to help!
Download the Team NZP’s Monogram Applique Letters, Numbers, & Frame Printable PDF. Page 1 includes the applique frame & the letters JOY. Pages 2-6 include letters A-Z & numbers 0-9!
Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time, and then spray press and starch fabric with June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy— press and starch, press and starch.
Create the Monogram Appliqué:
Note: Follow directions below for making one Monogrammed Christmas Stocking!
- Cut one 6″ fabric square from Christmas Traditions Words Cream Fabric for appliqué background frame, or background shape behind the monogram.
- Cut one 6″ fabric square from Confetti Cotton Solid Off White for appliqué background frame underling. Or, use a 6″ off-white fabric square from your fabric stash.
- Cut one 4″ square from Santa Cotton Shades
- Cut two 6″ squares and one 4″ square from Pellon Wonder Under.
- With pencil, trace reversed letter on smooth paper-side of Wonder-Under 4″ square.
- With pencil, trace appliqué background frame on one smooth paper-side of Wonder-Under 6″ square.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, place rough side of Wonder-Under to wrong side of red cotton fabric square. Press with dry iron. Allow to cool.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, place rough side of second Wonder-Under 6″ square to wrong side of Christmas Traditions Words 6″ fabric square. Press with dry iron. Allow to cool.
- Remove paper backing from Wonder-Under and place wrong side of Confetti Cotton Solid Off White 6″ square to wrong side of Christmas Traditions 6″ square. Press with dry iron
- and Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet. Allow to cool.
Underlining, or fusing a second layer of fabric the background frame fabric, will help prevent the stocking fabric front from showing through the applique frame background fabric!
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, place rough side of Wonder-Under frame tracing 6″ square to wrong side of Confetti Cotton Solid Off White 6″ square. Press with dry iron. Allow to cool.
- Using scissors, cut out monogram and appliqué background frame appliqués.
- Gently remove paper backing from monogram appliqué.
- Center monogram appliqué on center of appliqué background frame, using a 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge.
- Using a dry iron and Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet, press monogram appliqué to scroll appliqué. Set aside.
Create the Stocking
- For one stocking, cut out one stocking front and one stocking back – using the Team NZP’s FREE! Downloadable Stocking Pattern PDF. We’re making three stockings!
You’re the designer! The stocking front may be made from Wild At Heart Buffalo Plaid Black or Wild At Heart Bears! Note: The stocking pattern is directional, so be sure to cut out the stocking back in the opposite direction! Place stocking front fabric to stocking back fabric –wrong sides together– before cutting!
- Then, lay the stocking pattern on the lining fabric and cut two lining pieces for each stocking. We’re making three stockings!
- For one stocking, cut two Pellon Fleece Batting layers. We’re making three stockings!
- For each stocking, place stocking front shape to Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing, fusible side to wrong side of stocking front. Cut one layer of interfacing, and press to the wrong side of the stocking front shape using EZ-View Pressing Cloth and Fine Spray Mist Bottle.
- Remove paper backing from monogram appliqué. Using a 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge, position monogram appliqué in center of stocking, about 5″ down from top edge.
- Using a dry iron, and Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet, press monogram appliqué to stocking front.
- Attach Open Toe Sewing Machine Presser Foot to sewing machine.
- Set machine for an applique stitch, blanket stitch, or medium zigzag stitch (3.5 mm width, 1.4 mm length).
- Stitch around outside edges of appliqué background frame.
- Stitch around Monogram edges.
When stitching –or appliquéing– monogram to stocking front, stop with needle down on the outside of appliqué fabric when turning outside curves or corners; and stop with needle down on the inside of appliqué fabric when turning inside curves and corners! Always test stitches on a sample appliqué number– fused to a fabric scrap.
Create Hanging Loop
- Cut a fabric rectangle measuring 2-1/2″ x 6-1/2″
- Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise. Press. Optional: Use a Tailors Clapper to set folded crease.
- Open rectangle. Meet long edges at fold.
- Fold in both top and bottom edges to meet crease. Press.
- Fold in half lengthwise again. Press.
- Edgestitch along each long side.
- Fold hanging loop in half and Jumbo Wonder Clip hanging loop cut edges to top edge of right side of one stocking lining – as shown.
- Baste hanging loop in place.
Create the Stocking
- Attach Piping & Cording Sewing Machine Presser Foot to sewing machine.
- Align cut edges of piping with cut edges of stocking.
- Stitch piping to the right side of the stocking front edges. No need to apply piping at stocking top edge!
- Optional: Baste stocking front top edge to fleece.
- Place stocking back and lining, right sides together. Wonder Clip or Pin along stocking top edge.
- Stitch using a 1/4″ seam allowance to attached stocking back to lining.
- Press seam flat. Then press seam toward lining.
- Optional: Edgestitch, or understitch, through all layers at lining top edge.
- Place stocking front and lining, right sides together. Wonder Clip or Pin along stocking top edge.
- Stitch using a 1/4″ seam allowance to attached stocking front to lining.
- Press seam flat. Then press seam toward lining.
- Optional: Edgestitch, or understitch, through all layers at lining top edge.
- Placing Stocking front assembly to stocking back assembly, right sides together.
- Stitch around entire stocking edges, leaving a 6″ opening along the lining straight edge.
Optional: Using a Frixion Erasable Gel Pen, mark the location of the edge of the piping on the fleece side of the stocking!
When approaching multiple stacked seams, use The Big Jig to stitch beyond the bulk of the seams.
- Place a 6″ length of Clover’s Fusible Web Tape along 6″ opening.
- Grade, or trim, curved seams using a 45 mm Rotary Cutter and Pinking Blade.
- Turn the stocking right side out through the opening.
- Turn stocking assembly right sides out. Use a Point 2 Point Turner to smooth the curved seams.
- Remove paper backing from Clover’s Fusible Web Tape.
- Press opening closed.
- Or, handstitch opening closed!
- Repeat steps above to sew additional Monogrammed Christmas Stockings!
How to Enter the NZP 2020 Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge 2020
Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge Guidelines
- Select or create your design. All sewing, quilting, serging, machine embroidery, and embellishment techniques are eligible. Stocking must be made within the last year and may not have been entered into previous NZP Stocking Sewing Challenges.
- How to enter: Send one high-resolution quality image of your Christmas Stocking to [email protected] by 11:59 p.m. CST on Wednesday, November 25, 2020. Include your full name, hometown, and a sentence or two about your Christmas Stocking.
- One entry per sewist; open US residents in the 48 contiguous states only.
- All Christmas Stockings will be judged, and winning entries will receive a prize from our generous sponsors! Explore the full list of prizes, totaling over $700 (see below).
- Grab our Stocking Sewing Challenge blog badge and let your friends know about this exciting sewing challenge.
- Share your progress and projects on your social media sites using the hashtag: #NZPStockingChallenge
- November 5, 2020—Stocking Challenge Kick Off.
- November 25, 2020—Stocking Challenge Deadline to Enter.
- November 27–November 30, 2020—A Panel of Judges Review Entries.
- December 1, 2020—Winners Announced! All decisions made by judges are final.
Over $700 in prizes! Thank you to our generous 2020 Christmas Stocking Challenge Sponsors!
- Clover-USA: I Sew For Fun Spring Tape Measure, 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge, No-Hassle Triangle Gauge, I Sew For Fun Clip ‘n Glide Bodkin, I Sew For Fun Heart Shape Magnetic Pin Caddy, Bordeaux Ultimate Scissors 170, The Ultimate Quilt ‘n Stitch Presser Foot, I Sew For Fun Retractable Seam Ripper, I Sew For Fun Roll ‘n Press and I Sew For Fun Point 2 Point Turner. A $194 Value
- Dime: Totally Tubular Pressing Station & Wool Press Mats. A $145Value
- June Tailor: Quilt As You Go: Sew By Number Pattern Printed on Batting, Quilt As You Go: Zippered Cosmetic Bags, Reversible T-Shirt Quilt Kit. A $137 Value
- Riley Blake Designs: Santa Clause Lane Fat Quarter Pack, Lori Holt Cute Cuts™ Cutting Mat, Lori Holt Cute Cuts™ Non-Slip Rulers and Lori Holt Pretty Pins™. A $130 Value
- Nancy Zieman Productions: New! Dresden Columns Table Runner Bundle Box. Including: NEW! Dresden Columns Table Runner/Wall Hanging Pattern, Riley Blake Cotton Fabrics, Clover’s Ultimate Quilt ’n Stitch Presser Foot by Nancy Zieman and I Sew For Fun Heart-Shaped Pins. A $72 value
- Stitch it! Sisters: NEW! Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging/Table Runner Bundle Box. Including: NEW! Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging/Table Runner Pattern, Riley Blake Cotton Fabrics and Clover’s Ultimate Quilt ’n Stitch Presser Foot by Nancy Zieman. A $62 value
For a chance to be one of the random winner of a 10-Pack of Clover’s Wonder Clips, please leave a comment below about The Monogrammed Christmas Stocking and/or the 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge!
Clover will give away one 10-Pack of Clover’s Wonder Clips, to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.