NEW! Spring Garden Gnomes Fabric Tube Easter Table Mat Sewing Tutorial
Welcome spring and sew a new Table Mat! We’ve stitched our Easter-themed Table Mat with Clover’s Fabric Tube Maker and The Spring Garden Gnomes Fat Quarter Pack by Andi Metz for Benartex Fabrics. The sewing is fun and the finished Table Mat provides a festive table decoration!
Celebrate spring and sew a new Table Mat! Today, we’re stitching our Table Mat with Spring Garden Gnomes 2-1/2″ fabric strips and Pellon’s convenient 2-1/2″ Precut Cotton Batting Strips and Clover’s Fabric Tube Maker! The sewing is fun and the finished Table Mat provides a festive table decoration. Blog Bonus! Using the same technique make a set of placemats!
Spring Garden Gnomes Easter Table Mat Sewing Tutorial
Table Mat Approximate finished size: 18″ x 22″
Spring Garden Gnomes Table Mat Supply Listing
- Six Fat Quarters from the Spring Garden Gnome Fat Quarter Bundle or six coordinating fabrics for strips.
- Pellon’s 2-1/2″ Precut Cotton Batting Strip Roll
- Clover’s Fabric Tube Maker
- Clover’s Wonder Clips
- Clover’s Bordeaux Scissors
- Rotary Cutter, mat, and ruler
- Open Toe Presser Foot
- Optional: Edge Joining Presser Foot
- Schmetz Size 90 Jeans/Denim Needle
- Metrosene Plus Sewing Thread
Create Fabric Strips
- Cut four 2-1/2″ crosswise fabric strips from each of six Spring Garden Gnome Fat Quarters. Cut a total of twenty-four strips – each measuring approximately 2-1/2″ x 21″.
- Place crosswise fabric strips right sides together, offsetting short ends, and stitch diagonally between right angles.
- Seam fabric strips together with diagonal seams, stitching all eighteen strips in to one continuous strip.
- Clip apart.
- Trim seam allowance to 1/4″.
- Press seams flat, then press seams open.
- Trim seam allowance to 1/4″.
- Cut batting strip narrow end at a 45° angle. Fold narrow fabric strip end, wrong sides together, at a 45° angle. Press.
- Layer batting strip to wrong side of fabric strip, tucking cut end of batting strip under folded fabric end.
- Following manufactures instructions, insert into Clover’s Fabric Tube Maker.
- Set Sewing machine for a 3.0 straight stitch, attach an Open Toe Presser Foot, insert a new Schmetz Size 90 Jeans/Denim Needle.
- Edgestitch fabric/batting assembly, along long open edge.
- Advance fabric/batting through Fabric Tube Maker and begin stitching.
- Continue advancing fabric/batting strip through Fabric Tube Maker and edgestitching fabric/batting assembly along long open edge.
- Stop stitching about 6″ from strip end.
- Complete strip by cutting fabric strip end at a 45° angle. Cut batting strip end at 45° angle, and 1″ shorter than fabric.
- Fold fabric strip end up meeting wrong sides together.
- Resume stitching to end of strip. At corner, stop with needle down. Lift presser foot, pivot, and stitch across short end of fabric. Backstitch and cut threads.
- Fold over about 8″ sewn fabric strip forward onto itself. Note: The stitching line on the fabric strip will be located to the right.
- Set sewing machine for a wide zigzag stitch, and stitch fabric strip together. Zig in one fabric and zag in the other, while “kissing” fabric edges together.
- Stitch to the end of the 8″ strip and stop with needle down in right fabric.
- Continue stitching, turning stitched table mat counter clockwise as you stitch.
- Continue adding stitched fabric rows, turning stitched table mat counter clockwise as you stitch.
An Edge Joining Presser Foot also works great when seaming fabric strips.
- At about 4″ from the end, tuck folded end of fabric strip under table mat edge, and continue stitching to end of strip. Backstitch.
- Steam and press finished table mat.
Our Spring Garden Gnomes Table Mat is complete!
Spring Garden Gnomes Placemat!
Approximate finished size: 13″ x 18″
- For each placemat, cut three 2-1/2″ crosswise fabric strips from each of six fat quarters. Cut a total of eighteen strips – each measuring approximately 2-1/2″ x 21″.
- Following steps above, create a set of Spring Garden Gnomes Placemats!
Register Today for our 2023 Sew•Quilt•Create Weekend Event at ShopNZP.com.
Announcing our spring SEW•QUILT•CREATE Weekend Events at Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, May 18-20, 2023!
Plan your visit! Make memories and create a new tradition while engaging in our annual SEW•QUILT•CREATE Weekend Events! Join our Seminars by Sewlebrity Presenters, unwind at our entertaining Evening Events, see new product demos by Brand Ambassadors, plus shopping, and prize drawing giveaways. Learn about our NEW! VIP Seminar Pass, view and/or print the 2023 Sew•Quilt•Create Weekend Event Brochure PDF, and Register Today at ShopNZP.com.
View and/or print our Downtown Fine Arts District Area Map with Event Locations, Restaurants, and Lodging in the Beaver Dam
Evening Events – LIVE IN PERSON
Film Screening of Nancy Zieman: Extraordinary Grace Film
with PBS Wisconsin
Thursday. May 18 • 6pm-7:30pm
Join us, along with family, friends and special guests for a Film Screening of PBS Wisconsin documentary, Nancy Zieman: Extraordinary Grace.
Celebrating 40 Years of Sewing With Nancy® with the Stitch it! Sisters®
Friday. May 19 • 6pm-7:30pm
Join the creative women behind the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio to celebrate 40 years of Sewing With Nancy®.
Seminars- LIVE IN PERSON
Choose from three-days of Lecture-Demos featuring Sewing, Quilting, and Machine Embroidery by Sewlebrities Mary Mulari, Lorraine Torrence, Judy Gauthier, Lauri Valle, and Deanna Springer. NEW! VIP Seminar Pass! Purchase a NEW! VIP Seminar Pass and receive all-access admission to every seminar for all three event days, plus receive a VIP Badge with Lanyard, and more!
Sit & Sew Classes – LIVE IN PERSON
Sit & Sew on a BERNINA L860 Serger, L890 Serger, and the NEW! Special Edition Kaffe Fassett BERNINA B770 QE Sewing & Embroidery Machine and learn new techniques while sewing a project. Visit the BERNINA Booth for Special Event SALES and sign up for the FREE! Make-it! Take-it! Seating is limited.
Vendor Mall – LIVE IN PERSON
Visit the Vendor Mall and learn about the latest tools for sewing, quilting, and creating from our industry’s best Brand Ambassadors!
Join us May 18-20 for our SEW•QUILT•CREATE Weekend Event at the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio featuring Sewing Seminars, Sit & Sew Workshops, Make-it! Take-it!, Sewlebrity Presenters, Brand Ambassadors, Evening Events, Meet the Stitch it Sisters, shop our exclusive Special Event SALES, Sign up for the Event Prize Drawings for a chance to to win prizes from BERNINA, bernette, LauraStar, Clover, June Tailor, OESD, Benartex, Schmetz Needles, and more – including a bernette b05 Academy Sewing Machine!
Register by May 8 and save $2 per Seminar, Sit & Sew, & Evening Event.
Seminars are $10-$20 ea. in advance ($12-$22 on-site), Sit & Sew Workshops are $59 ea. ($61 on-site), Evening Events are $20 ea. ($22 on-site). Seating is limited. Register online at ShopNZP.com.
SAVE $5*—Register online at ShopNZP.com and the registration fee is waived.
*A $5 registration fee will be added to each mail and phone registration.
Admission fee not required for Vendor Mall, Vendor Demos, Make it Take-it, or for shopping at the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio.
Note: Live In-Person Events are located at the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio and BDACT Beaver Dam Area Community Theater in downtown Beaver Dam WI.
Event Hours: Thurs. May 18–Fri. May 19, 9am-5pm • Sat. May 20, 9am-4pm
NANCY ZIEMAN SEWING STUDIO
120 FRONT STREET • BEAVER DAM, WI 53916 [email protected] • ShopNZP.com
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2023 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.