NEW! I Sew For Fun Kids Sewing Challenge 2020: Pillowcase Sewing Tutorial
NEW! I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge sponsored by Nancy Zieman Productions, Clover Needlecraft, and Riley Blake Designs. Youth ages 15 and under are invited to share how they “sew for fun”— while making a pillowcase with NASA Out of this World Planets fabric or Butterflies on Light Purple fabric with coordinating Shades fabrics by Riley Blake Designs; along with an I Sew For Fun sewing tool by Clover.
Youth age 15 and under may participate in the NEW! 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge by reading and understanding the contest guidelines listed below, sewing a pillowcase using one of the Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Packs purchased by an adult, and emailing two photos to [email protected] on or before September 29, 2020: One photo showing youth sewing/working on the challenge project using the I Sew For Fun Tool (included in the Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack), and a second photo of youth with completed pillowcase. Note: It’s okay if you prefer not to show youth’s face in photos. Be sure to include challenge participant’s first name, city, state, and age–when emailing photos to [email protected].
To reserve a spot in the NEW! 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge, an adult parent or guardian must purchase the Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack. Purchase the Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack at ShopNZP.com. Quantities are limited!
- Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack includes 3/4 yard NASA Out of this World Planets or Butterflies on Light Purple, coordinating Shades fabrics by Riley Blake Designs, and one mystery I Sew For Fun Sewing Tool by Clover.
- The FREE! I Sew For Fun Pillowcase Sewing Tutorial, below.
- Sewing Machine, sewing thread, and basic sewing tools.
Using the right sewing tools assists with creating a successful sewing project! Above is a photo showing all the I Sew For Fun Tools by Nancy Zieman Productions for Clover. You may use any of the above I Sew For Fun sewing tools while sewing your pillow case challenge project! Show us What You’re Making! We love to hear from you, so email your photos—anytime—to The NZP Team at [email protected], and/or share your experiences and photos with us on Facebook or Instagram!
Pillowcase Sewing Tutorial
Approximate Finished Size: 20″ x 30″
Makes one standard size pillowcase.
- 3/4 yd. Novelty Print Fabric A –main pillowcase fabric
- 1/4 yd. Fabric B –border
- 1/8 yd. Fabric C–trim
- Coordinating all-purpose thread
- Optional Notions: I Sew For Fun Heart Shaped Straight Pins, I Sew For Fun Magnetic Heart-Shaped Covered Pin Caddy andI Sew For Fun Sew Safe Presser Foot.
Please read all instructions before beginning. Use the width of the presser foot as the depth of the seam allowance.
Prep Before You Sew
Gather your sewing supplies and prep your fabric for sewing. Included with the Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack you’ll find everything you’ll need to complete the I Sew For Fun Pillowcase Project, you’ll supply the thread! When you receive your challenge project pack, open the package and prep your fabrics. Then find the FREE! I Sew For Fun Pillowcase Sewing Tutorial, below. Read all directions, before beginning.
Press and cut the fabrics:
- Cut one 27″ x 41″ rectangle from Fabric A – for main pillowcase.
- Cut a 9″ x 41″ rectangle from Fabric B – for wide border; set aside.
- Cut a 2″ x 41″ rectangle from Fabric C for accent trim.
- Fold the 2″ strip of trim fabric in half, wrong sides together, aligning the lengthwise edges; use Clover’s I Sew for Fun Roll n’ Press ,or iron, to press fold.
Assemble trim and border:
- Wonder Clip or Pin folded trim to right side of the 9″ x 41″ border fabric, aligning cut edges of trim with one lengthwise edge of the border fabric.
- Machine baste.
- Fold border fabric in half, right sides together.
- Stitch the short ends of the border fabric.
- Press seam open I Sew for Fun Roll n’ Press or iron.
Stitch the pillowcase:
- Fold Fabric A rectangle in half, right sides together, aligning 27″ edges.
- Wonder Clip or Pin and stitch 21″seam. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and ending of the seam. Or, use a serger!
- Wrap the corner by folding the 21″ seam toward the pillowcase along the stitching line and stitch the 27″ side seam. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and ending of the seam. Or, use a serger!
- Turn pillowcase right side out.
- Pin or Wonder Clip border fabric over the main pillowcase fabric meeting cut edges, with right sides together.
- Stitch layers together. Clean finish cut edges using either a zigzag stitch or serger overlock machine. Press seam toward main body of pillowcase.
- Use Clover’s I Sew For Fun Point 2 Point Turner for turning crisp corners.
NEW! I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Guidelines
1. Challenge is open to all youth, ages 15 and under, residing in the continental US.
2. The challenge is limited to the first 30 persons whose parent or guardian purchases the Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack. Purchase project pack as soon as possible at ShopNZP.com to reserve challenge spot. Quantities are limited.
3. Stitch your pillowcase with the NEW! I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Sewing Tutorial, above.
4. Sew a pillowcase using the official Official 2020 I Sew For Fun Kids’ Sewing Challenge Pillowcase Project Pack fabric, along with any sewing and/or serging techniques. Construction may be done by hand or by machine. Participants may use any type of embellishment, decorations, and may add designer touches. Work may be done exclusively by the participant, and/or with the assistance of an adult. One pillowcase per participant. Challenge participants, and/or an adult parent/guardian must email two photos to [email protected] on or before September 29, 2020: One photo showing youth using Clover’s I Sew For Fun Tool(s) while sewing and/or working on the project, and a second photo of youth with the completed pillowcase. Note: It’s okay if you prefer to not show youth’s face in photos. Be sure to include challenge participant’s first name, city, state, and age when photos to [email protected]
Participants will be judged on workmanship, creativity, and overall appearance. Participants photos will be shared on sponsoring companies social and web sites to promote the love of sewing.
Prizes will be awarded to those making the top three cinch sacks, along with additional prizes awarded randomly. Winners will be announced on the Nancy Zieman Productions Blog on September 30, 2020.
- Clover – I Sew For Fun Sewing Notions Bundles, four different. $125 value
- Nancy Zieman Productions – I Sew For Fun Sewing Cinch Sack Bundle Box, four different. $100 value
Tune in and watch Nancy and her granddaughters, along with friends, take a modern approach to sewing. Nancy shares her team sewing-for-fun experience along with many tips for a big partner, and numerous insights for involving a little sewing partner—all while making simple, easy to sew kid-friendly projects. Watch I Sew For Fun on Sewing With Nancy!
The randomly selected winner of The Ultimate Quilt ‘n Stitch Presser Foot from Clover, Dresden Columns Table Runner Sewing Tutorial and Facebook Live Announcement, is Tere.
Her comment is: I gravitate towards modern quilting and I love how a traditional element like a Dresden fan template can be modified into something modern. I need a new table setting and will have to make this table runner. So cool!
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.