NEW! 2019 Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorial by Nancy Zieman Productions
You’re invited to join the 2019 Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge November 5–26, 2019! Stitch a Christmas Stocking and showcase your sewing and/or quilting talents. Stocking entries may be any color palette, and may feature any sewing, quilting, or machine embroidery techniques and/or embellishments—use your imagination! Enter one Christmas Stocking that has been sewn within the last year and has not been entered into previous Nancy Zieman Productions Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenges. All challenge details are listed near the bottom of this posting. You could win a prize from one of our generous 2019 Christmas Socking Sewing Challenge Sponsors!
Join the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge!
Choose any design ideas, including our FREE! ModDot Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorial (below), or choose one of our Classic NZP Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorials for inspiration, then enter the 2019 Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge. Deadline to enter is November 26, 2019.
Make sure you are subscribed to Nancy Zieman Productions enews—so you won’t miss a thing. Sign up today! Join us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
FREE! ModDot Christmas Stocking Sewing Tutorial!
From elegant to whimsical, Christmas stockings are a great way to add a pop of holiday cheer to any room. Plus, they can readily be sewn in a few hours of enjoyable sewing time.
This project uses 1/4″ seam allowances. Approximate finished size: 11-1/2″ x 16-1/2″.
The NEW! ModDot Christmas Stocking, by The Nancy Zieman Productions Team, goes together in an afternoon of sewing and features 5″ fabric squares—all made from just six different solid cotton fabrics, 1-1/2 yd. purchased piping, and 5/8 yd. backing/lining fabric. This festive stocking design is super-easy to sew with our step-by-step directions, below.
- Fifteen assorted 5″ Fabric Squares; twelve green and three red. We chose Cranberry, Tree Top, Lime, Olive, Hunter, and Green Smoothie Confetti Cotton Solids from Riley Blake Designs.
- 5/8 x yd. backing/lining/hanging loop fabric. We chose Green Smoothie Confetti Cotton Solid from Riley Blake Designs.
- 1-1/2 yd. purchased piping. Or make your own piping–like we did. We chose one fat quarter of Green Smoothie Confetti Cotton Solid from Riley Blake Designs.
- 1/2 yd. Pellon Fleece Batting
- 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
- NZP Downloadable Stocking Template
- 7-3/4″ Bordeaux Ultimate Shears
- Optional: Quilter’s Basting Spray, Rotary Cutter and Pinking Blade
Printing the Stocking Pattern:
- Download the NZP Stocking Template
- Print the stocking template at 80%. It’s a large image so opt to “tile large pages” if applicable. The template will print on four pages. After assembled and cut out—stocking shape will measure approximately 11- 1/2″ x 16-1/2″.
• Download the Stocking Template PDF and save to your computer’s desktop.
• Open the PDF and select “File”, then select “Print”.
• Select “Poster” or “Tile” under “Page Sizing & Handling”.
• Set “Tile Scale” to 80%.
• Check the “Cut marks” box.
• Click “Print”.
Please email the NZP Team with questions at, [email protected].
- Cut twelve 5″ fabric squares from five different assorted green fabrics.
- Cut three 5″ squares from cranberry red fabric.
- Cut three 5″ squares from Pellon Wonder Under.
- Press Pellon Wonder Under squares to back of three cranberry red fabric squares.
- Trace four 2-1/4″ circles (about the size of a juice glass) on each of the three cranberry red fabric squares.
- Remove paper backing from circles.
- Center cranberry fabric circles on center of green fabric squares, using the 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge set at 1-3/8″.
- Using an iron, press circles to the center of all twelve green fabric squares.
- Optional: Use a zigzag stitch to applique circles to background fabric squares.
Randomly arrange twelve 5″ Fabric Squares in three rows of two, and two rows of three-as shown. Snap a digital picture of the arrangement to use as a reference for later stitching fabric squares together.
- Stitch squares in pairs, right sides together.
- Press seam allowances to one side, making sure to press every other row to the right and opposing rows to the left.
- Arrange rows, as shown, to create stocking front patchwork.
- With right sides together, lock opposing vertical seam allowances and stitch.
- Press seam allowances to one side.
- Spray one side of 18″ x 22″ Pellon Fleece with Quilter’s Basting Spray.
- Place the wrong side of the stocking front patchwork to the sprayed fleece.
- Optional: Machine Quilt the stocking front patchwork and batting layers using The Ultimate Quilt ‘n Stitch Presser Foot.
Create the Stocking
- Cut out the Stocking Front shape from the Stocking Front Patchwork – using the NZP Downloadable Stocking Template.
- Then, lay the stocking pattern on the backing/lining fabric and cut three: One stocking back and two lining pieces.
- Lay the template on the remaining Pellon Fleece and cut one layer for Stocking Back.
- Apply Quilter’s Basting Spray to Pellon Fleece.
- Adhere to the stocking back fabric to the Pellon Fleece.
- The following directions are from our 2016 Christmas Stocking Tutorial. Using a Piping Foot or Zipper Foot to apply the piping to the right side of the patchwork stocking edges.
- No need to apply piping at stocking top edge.
Create the Hanging Loop
- Cut a fabric rectangle measuring 2-1/2″ x 6-1/2″ and make a hanging loop following the directions in our 2016 Christmas Stocking Tutorial.
- Fold the loop in half and pin the cut edges to the top of the right side of the stocking lining.
Create the Stocking
- Place stocking front and lining, right sides together. Pin along top edge.
- Place stocking back and lining, right sides together. Pin along top edge.
- Use a 1/4″ seam allowance to stitch along top edge of front and back stocking.
- Press seams open.
- Pieces should look like this from the wrong side:
- With both stocking back and front open and flat, meet right sides together and pin.
- Stitch around the stocking using a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Backstitch at the start and finish, leaving 4″ unsewn along the lining’s straight edge.
- Press the seam allowance at the opening.
- Optional: Use a rotary cutter pinking blade to trim excess fabric seam allowance from the seam at the curved edges.
- Turn the stocking right side out through the opening.
- Tuck the lining into the stocking fabric. Press.
- Our stocking is complete! We look forward to seeing your stockings in the Nancy Zieman Productions 2019 Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge!
How to Enter
Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge Guidelines
- Select or create your design. All sewing, quilting, serging, machine embroidery, and embellishment techniques are eligible. Stocking must be made within the last year and may not have been entered into previous NZP Stocking Sewing Challenges.
- How to enter: Send one high-resolution quality image of your Christmas Stocking to [email protected] by 11:59 p.m. CST on Tuesday, November 26, 2019. Include your full name, hometown, and a sentence or two about your Christmas Stocking.
- One entry per sewist; open US residents in the 48 contiguous states only.
- All Christmas Stockings will be judged, and winning entries will receive a prize from our generous sponsors! Explore the full list of prizes, totaling over $1,000 (see below).
Make sure you are subscribed to Nancy Zieman Productions enews—so you won’t miss a thing. Sign up today!Join us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
- Grab our Stocking Sewing Challenge blog badge and let your friends know about this exciting sewing challenge.
- Share your progress and projects on your social media sites using the hashtag: #NZPStockingChallenge
- November 5, 2019—Stocking Challenge Kick Off.
- November 26, 2019—Stocking Challenge Deadline to Enter.
- November 27–December 2, 2019—A Panel of Judges Review Entries.
- December 3, 2019—Winners Announced! All decisions made by judges are final.
Over $1,000 in prizes! Thank you to our generous 2019 Christmas Stocking Challenge Sponsors!
- C&T Publishing: Gift card to ctpub.com A $200 value
- Clover-USA: Wonder Clips(10pc/Asst.), Mini Wonder Clips(20pc), I Sew For Fun Roll & Press, Pin ‘n Stow, 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge, I Sew For Fun Heart-Shaped Magnet Pin Caddy, Rotary Cutter(45mm), 6 ‘n 1 Stick ‘n Stitch Guide. A $150 value
- Pellon: Heavy Duty Wonder-Under Fusible Web Tape, Wonder-Web Fusible Web Tape, Spray-N-Clean, Wrap-N-Zap, Stick-N-Tear, Fabric Magic, Shape Flex, Craft-Fuse, Wonder Under Paper Backed Fusible Web and Grab N’ Go Batting. A $110 value
- Martingale: Christmas Book Package A $104 value
- June Tailor: Quilt As You Go Stocking Strips, Quilt As You Go Stocking Squares, Quilt As You Go Tree Skirt, Shape Cut and and Starch Savvy, 16 ounce trigger. A $102 value
- Baby Lock: Genuine Collection Beginning Sewing Kit A $100 value
- Nancy Zieman Productions: NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack and Afternoon Picnic Quilt Pattern. A $72 value
- Stitch it! Sisters: NEW! Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging/Table Runner Bundle Box with Supersize 5-in-1 Sliding Gauge. A $70 value
- Dime: Lace Charms Embroidery Collection. A $60 value
- Inspiring-Stitches: Assorted patterns, A $50 value
- Sewing With Nancy: Five Random Winners of Nancy Zieman The Rest of the Story—A Memoir of Faith, Family, and Friends Book with DVD by Richard Zieman. A $24.95 value (each)
NEW! Watch Stitch it! Sisters with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey – real life sisters from Team NZP. This NEW! Video Series features our latest sewing projects and fun sewing adventures!
Watch the NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 102: Dresden Columns Table Runner video with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey. In this video, the Stitch it! Sisters share step-by-step fabric cutting and sewing techniques for making NZP’s NEW! Dresden Columns Table Runner or Wall Hanging Project.
Watch the NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Program 101: Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging video with hosts Deanna Springer and Dana Casey. In this video, the Stitch it! Sisters share step-by-step fabric cutting and sewing techniques for making NZP’s NEW! Modern Floating Triangles Wall Hanging and Table Runner Project.
Then, head over to the shopnzp.com and purchase the exclusive NEW! Project Bundle Boxes designed by the Stitch it! Sisters!
Visit the NEW! NZP Online Shop for the latest tools, patterns, fabrics and more at shopnzp.com!
Visit shopnzp.com, or click the “shop” tab
at the top of the NZP blog, anytime!
5-in-1 Sliding Gauge
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below and let us know if you’ll be joining the 2019 Christmas Stocking Sewing Challenge
Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
The randomly selected winner of of the McCall’s M7871 Knit Dress and Tunic Pattern by Team NZP, from the November 12 Blog Post: Our Top Pick for Holiday Fashion Sewing: McCall’s M7871 Knit Tunic and Dress Pattern is Evans Caple.
The comment is: I love this tunic. They look so comfortable. Thanks.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2019 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.