Quilt as You Go With Precut Strips
Convenience. It is a word important to many of us as we search out ways to streamline our lives. In the sewing and quilting arenas, fabric manufacturers took our needs to heart, producing precut fabric bundles. Ahh, convenient!
On today’s episode of Sewing With Nancy, Maria DeGroot, a teacher of the convenient, works with the many sizes of precut bundles and is here to share precut quilt projects in our third and final program of our mini-series. If you missed parts one or two, watch them online.
We’ll be using precut fabrics throughout this three-part series of Sewing With Nancy. If you’re curious what we mean by “precut fabrics,” here’s a quick reference:
- 5″ Squares: Charm Packs or 5″ Stackers
- 10″ Squares: Layer Cakes, Ten Squares, or 10″ Stackers
- 2-1/2″ Squares: Mini-Charms
- Fat Quarter: 18″ x 22″
- 2-1/2″ Strips: Jelly Rolls, Roll-ups, Design Rolls, Rolie Polie
- 5″ Strips: Dessert Rolls, Charm Rolls
- 1-1/2″ Strips: Honey Buns, Skinny Strips
- 6″ Triangles and Hexagons are also available, but not in this series.
We’ll be starting out with Maria’s favorite tote pattern. A precut package of 2-1/2″ strips is what’s needed for this tote. Nancy will show a quilt as-you-go technique that is ideal for all levels of sewing.
Quilt & Go Tote
Start out with this favorite tote pattern and a precut package of 2-1/2″ strips. Learn how to use the quilt-as-you-go method to create this bag on today’s new episode of Sewing With Nancy.
Strip-by-Strip Reversible Quilt
Strips sewn end-to-end are the first step in making our next project from 2-1/2″ crosswise strips. We call it, the Strip-by-Strip Reversible Quilt. Two packages of strips are used, one for each side of the quilt. It’s a speedy quilt project that results in a lightweight quilt, ideal for warm climates or summertime naps.
Split and Spin Pinwheel Quilt
Most of us are familiar with half-square triangles, but what about half-square rectangles? Hmm, not as common. Learn how 10″ precut fabric bundles are ideal for creating this unique design that Maria calls, Split and Spin Pinwheels. There’s a secret to assemble this block, which they’ll share with you on this TV show! Watch Online and learn the secret.
Precut Fabrics for Speedy Projects Book includes:
- Nancy Zieman and guest Maria DeGroot showing how to use precut fabric packages for a variety of projects
- Incorporating precut fabric options—5″ squares, 10″ squares, 2-1/2″ strips with yardage to quickly create coordinated projects
- Easy techniques that give 9-patch blocks a whole new look
- Quickly making volumes of half-square triangles from 10″ precut squares to arrange in modern blocks
- Giving a new twist to a traditional Log Cabin block, complete with on-point layout and setting triangles
- Creating gussets to form totes
- Using alternative fabrics (flannel and fusible foam) as batting
- “Quilt-as-you-go” using the wobble stitch
- Making and positioning straps for totes
- Charm Pack Scramble Quilt and variations
- Four’s the Charm Quilt
- Chocolate Cake with Sprinkles Quilt
- Quarter Log Cabin Quilt
- Charming Tote
- Strip by Strip Reversible Quilt
- Split and Spin Pinwheel Quilt
- Quilt & Go Tote
Watch Precut Fabrics for Speedy Projects (Part One, Part Two, and Part Three) on Sewing With Nancy online.
For a chance to win a copy of the new book, Precut Fabrics for Speedy Projects from Nancy’s Notions, leave a comment sharing which type of precut you purchase most often.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC.