March 2019 Block of the Month: Windmill Quilt Block
2019 Block of the Month—March: “Windmill” Quilt Block
In January, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the first of 12 blocks in the New! Summer Picnic 2019 FREE! Block of the Month Series. Find the January and February Quilt Block Tutorials under Popular Blog Posts: 2019 Block of the Month. Join the New! Summer Picnic 2019 Block of the Month Series, anytime, by viewing the supply listing in the January 5th NZP Blog Posting.
Each month, we’re featuring one quilt block design. The quilt blocks are created using Nancy Zieman’s NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack* from Riley Blake Designs (*18″ x 22″ fabric rectangles) plus background, sashing, border, and binding fabrics. Follow along as we demonstrate how to create the March “Windmill” Quilt Block (below).
Choose the Fabrics
For the New! Summer Picnic 2019 FREE! Block of the Month Series, “Windmill” March Quilt Block, select the following fabrics from your Nancy Zieman’s NEW! Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack from Riley Blake Designs and a Nancy Zieman’s No-Hassle Triangle Gauge by Clover.
March “Windmill” Block
Instructions: (Each block is a 12″ finished square. Finished quilt measures approximately 44-1/2″ x 57-1/2″)
1. Create the “Windmill” Quilt Block with easy modified 1/4-square blocks.
Cut Fabric for Block
- Cut one 7-1/4″ square from Afternoon Picnic Black Rose.
- Cut one 7-1/4″ square from Afternoon Picnic Blue Gingham.
- Cut two 6-7/8″ squares from Afternoon Picnic Black Rose.
Construct The Units
All seam allowances are scant 1/4″ unless otherwise stated.
The step-by-step photos illustrate construction of the block.
Half Square Triangles (HSTs)
1. Create two 1/2-square triangle blocks.
- Align 7-1/4″ squares from Afternoon Picnic Black Rose and Blue Gingham, right sides together.
- Mark blocks using a No-Hassle Triangles Gauge and an erasable gel pen.
- Use a No-Hassle Triangles Gauge. The left side of the gauge is designated to create 1/2-square triangle blocks. Depress button on sliding portion of the gauge and move to size of the desired 1/2-square triangle.
Place No-Hassle Triangles Gauge on block set, corner to corner. Match corner marks of gauge with corner of block sets. Mark fabric through center of gauge with an erasable gel pen.
- Align presser foot along one side of center mark, stitch. Rotate block, stitch along other side of center mark.
- Cut block apart along center marking with rotary cutter, ruler and mat.
- Press seams to the Afternoon Picnic Black Rose side of the squares.
Create Four Modified 1/4-square Blocks
- Align each 1/2-square triangle to one 6-7/8″ Afternoon Picnic Black Rose square, right sides together.
- Mark as a 1/4-square using a No-Hassle Triangles Gauge and an erasable gel pen.
- Stitch squares.
- Using a rotary cutter, cut squares into 1/4-triangles.
- Press the seam to the Afternoon Picnic Black Rose side of the square.
2. Lay out block following diagram. Rotate squares as necessary.
3. Stitch the block together joining squares to form a block.
- Place squares from top row onto bottom row, right sides together, stitch.
- Place squares from first column onto second column, right sides together, stitch together to create a complete block.
- Press seams open, or press seams to alternate sides.
Watch No-Hassle Triangles Quilt Blocks (Part One and Part Two) on The Best of Sewing With Nancy online.
For a chance to be the random winner of a Afternoon Picnic Fat Quarter Pack fabric pack, please leave a comment below.
The randomly selected winners of a copy of Nancy Zieman the Rest of the Story—A Memoir of Faith, Family, and Friends, published by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC, from the March 9 blog post are:
BOOK GIVEAWAY #1—Bertie L. Stringfellow
I still have tears when I think of her…she was such an inspiration to anyone who knew her, and we all felt like she was our dear friend. I have her Seams Unlikely book, and it made me feel closer to her and her family. I will miss her for the rest of my life.
BOOK GIVEAWAY #2—Chris
Her Comment is: This book was a very “fast read” and a beautiful “conclusion” to a life of faith, love, hope, inspiration, dedication, commitment, hard work, vision, friendship, and so much more. Nancy’s story is far from over, though, as she continues to live in the hearts of those she touched with her TV show, books, blogs, DVDs, and Nancy’s Notions. This book was an inspirational telling of “another side” of Nancy’s life. Thank you, Richard, for your perspective.
BOOK GIVEAWAY #3—Linda Heimerl
Her comment is: I bought and read Nancy’s autobiography, Seams Unlikely, and having met Nancy briefly at the Sewing Weekends, was captivated by not only her talent but her friendliness and her “realness.” I learned from her autobiography that we shared many things in our lives, from heritage and background, to interests and even some physical problems.
Be sure to join in and follow the 2019 Nancy Zieman Productions Pillow Sewing Challenge at the NZP Blog. Deadline to enter is, NEXT TUESDAY, March 19, 2019.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC.