Fat Quarter Mystery Quilt: April Block of the Month
Introducing the April Block of the Month:
The Album Quilt* quilt block is the April Fat Quarter Mystery Quilt Block. Like all blocks in this year’s block of the month challenge, this block is 15″ (finished size) and is created using quick strip-piecing techniques. Simple!
During this 12-month block of the month challenge, all blocks will be made from one 24-piece fat quarter bundle and 2-1/4 yards of cream background fabric, not including backing or binding. We’re using the fat quarter bundle, Garnet, it’s my most recent fabric line from Penny Rose, a division of Riley Blake Designs. You’re definitely welcome to use another collection of fabric or fabrics from your stash!
Choose the Fabrics
For the Album Quilt block, select the following fabrics from your Garnet fat-quarter bundle. If you’ve chosen another fabric collection, select two darker tones, one medium tone, and the background fabric, for a total of four fabrics
- Cut nine 3-1/2″ x 3-1/2″ squares from dark fabric.
Unit Two: Roman Candle Blocks (Stripes)
From the medium fat quarter and background fabric, cut the following:
- Cut four 1-1/2″ crosswise strips (CWS) from medium fabric.
- Cut two 1-1/2″ CWS from background fabric.
- Arrange the strips into two groups, as shown below:
- Join a light and medium strip from each grouping; chain piece.
- Snip the chain stitching. Open and press both pairs.
- Add the remaining dark and light strips to each of the pressed pairs.
- Open; press seam allowances toward the darker fabric.
- Subcut the strip sets into twelve 3-1/2″ sections.
Unit Three: Nine-Patch Blocks
- Cut two 1-1/2″ CWS from background fabric.
- Cut two 1-1/2″ CWS from dark fabric.
- Cut two 1-1/2″ x 12″ dark fabric strips .
- Cut one 1-1/2″ x 12″ background fabric strip.
- Arrange the strips as shown. Stitch strips together; press seam allowances toward darker fabric.
- Subcut the remaining CWS to create the strip sets for the top and lower sections of the 9-patch block:
- Cut one 1-1/2″ x 15″ strip from dark fabric .
- Cut two 1-1/2″ x 15″ strips from background fabric.
- Arrange the strips as shown below. Stitch strips together. Press seam allowances toward the darker fabric.
- Subcut the strip set into eight 1-1/2″ sections.
- Arrange the 9-patch blocks with the lighter fabrics at each corner.
- Join the top two rows, locking seam allowances.
- Open; add the remaining row.
- Open; press.
- Make a total of four 9-patch blocks, measuring 3-1/2″ x 3-1/2″.
- Arrange the large block as shown:
- Rows one, three, and five are identical.
- Press seam allowances for these rows to the right.
- Rows two and four are also identical.
- Press seam allowances for these rows to the left.
The fourth block in the 2017 Fat Quarter Mystery Quilt is solved!
Share Your Success!
If you are on social sites, let all your friends know you are working on Nancy Zieman’s 2017 Fat Quarter Mystery Quilt by tagging your post with the hashtag: #NZBoM. Share your finished blocks with Nancy and her team by emailing them to [email protected].
During the 2015 Quilt Adventure and the 2016 Quilt Extravaganza, I shared three virtual quilt designs made with the month’s single block. This year, I’m changing it up and sharing block color variations of one block. Please note that the fabrics required for color-varied blocks will be slightly different than the original block of the month directions presented.
Take your Block to the Next Level
- Visualize an entire quilt made from this block. Each block will measure 15″ square when sewn into a quilt. The blocks shown below are set on point and a 1″ (finished) sashing strip frames each block. The entire quilt is then framed with a 1″ (finished) border and a 3″ (finished) border. Read more on finishing the quilt in my book Fearless Quilting Finishes.
- Notice the subtle differences in these four color variations of the Album Quilt block.
Watch Fearless Quilting Finishes on Sewing With Nancy online.
If you missed any of the complete block tutorials, find the 2017 Fat Quarter Mystery Block of the Month on my blog.
Watch for the May Block of the Month on Saturday, May 20th.
Bye for now,
Content in this feed is © copyright 2017 by Nancy Zieman and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.
The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman has provided products by other companies in the course of her business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.