April 2020 NZP Block of the Month: Fan Block
Nancy’s Red Elegance
2020 Block of the Month April: Fan Block
Introducing the fourth of 12 FREE! Quit Block Tutorials in the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series! The Fan Block, also known as 1/4-Wagon Wheel Block, is quickly made with fan wedges and a little bias trim!
In January, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series. Join the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, anytime, by viewing the Basic Supplies and Tools Listing in the January 1, 2020 NZP BoM20 Kick Off Blog Posting.
On the third Saturday of each month, we’ll feature one block design, and we’ll be stitching one or more blocks of the same design each month. The blocks are created using Our NEW! Red Elegance Fabric Collection by Riley Blake and the Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover. Follow along as we show step-by-step how to create the April Fan Block.
April Fan Block
NOTE: This block is 8-1/2″ square; 8″ finished square when sewn into finished quilt.
For the Nancy’s Red Elegance April Fan Block, select the following four fat quarter fabrics from the NEW! Red Elegance Fat Quarter Bundle along with the “Wagon Wheel & Fan” Template from the Carefree Curves Template Set.
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
- Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover
- Optional: 3/8″ Fusible Bias Tape Maker
- Optional: 1/4″ Fusible Web Tape
- Optional: Mini Iron II “The Adapter”
Cut Fabrics for the Block
- Cut four 8-1/2″ background squares from Red Elegance Brick Textured.
- Cut one 3-3/4″ crosswise fabric strip from Red Elegance Cream Rose.
- Cut one 3-3/4″ crosswise fabric strip from Red Elegance Red Rose.
Construct the Blocks
Build the Fan Appliqué
- Place Wagon Wheel & Fan Template along 3-3/4″ crosswise fabric strip cut from Red Elegance Cream Rose.
- Align the lower Wagon Wheel & Fan Template along edge of fabric strip, and trace template side edges, and trace the curve die-cut opening. Trace four fan wedge shapes.
- Each April Fan Block will use two fan wedges from Red Elegance Cream Rose and Red Elegance Red Rose. Trace four fan wedge shapes from both 3-3/4″ crosswise fabric strips.
- Use Fabric Shears to cut along top curved lines.
- Set sewing machine for a scant 1/4″ seam, and stitch side seam on right only.
- Press seam allowance flat, then press open.
- Repeat steps above and create two fan appliques with the Cream Rose fan wedge located at left.
- Repeat steps above, stitching side seam on left only, and create two fan appliques with the Red Rose fan wedge located at left.
- Layer one fan unit to one 8-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ background fabric square, matching cut edge. Pin.
Create Fusible Bias Tape
- Following directions included with Clover’s 3/8″ Fusible Bias Tape Maker, feed bias cut fabric strip into the tape maker and feed Clover’s 1/4″ Fusible Web Tape into top channel.
- Press the folded bias strip, as it exits the narrow end of the maker – the fabric edges are magically folded toward center.
Finish the Blocks
- Remove paper backing from fusible bias, and position bias tape over the curved fan edges.
- Using an iron, press the fusible bias tape in place – to conceal the cut edges of the fan appliqué.
- Repeat steps above and and cover the remaining fan appliqué cut edge.
The Nancy’s Red Elegance April Fan Blocks are complete!
Shop Elastic, Cotton Webbing, Zippers & More at shopnzp.com
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing your thoughts about the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series and/or The April Fan Block.
Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
The randomly selected winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with exclusive S!S button & sticker, from the April 11 and 14 Blog Posts, NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Tunic Pattern Fitting – The Nancy Zieman Way – Program 113 and Stitch it Sisters Tunic Pattern Fitting Tutorial the Nancy Zieman Way – McCall’s M8022, is Susan Du.
Her comment is: I have always been fascinated by this technique when Nancy demonstrated it years ago. Thank you for the refresher video and I’d love to try a basic tunic using this technique.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sistersis a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.