Sew A Designer Hobo Tote
When it’s time to sew a new tote, choose a fabric border print and let the artistic design simplify the sewing process.
Border print fabrics are easy to fussy-cut. If you aren’t familiar with the term, fussy-cut, it means to feature a certain portion of the textile print in your sewing design. Using the Trace ’n Create Hobo Tote Template collection, a border print designer upgrade is quite simple.
Supplies, fabric, and notions:
- Pellon Peltex Interfacing: One-Sided Fusible
- Fine-tip non-permanent marking pen
- Border Print Fabric
Use the fabric requirements listed on the Hobo Tote pattern. Keep in mind that you may need extra yardage to center the design. The fabric from Lecien is, unfortunately, no longer available. Shop at your local fabric retailer for the newest in border prints.
- To easily fussy-cut the border print, we’ll create a full front/full back template from the provided pattern as described in the Hobo Tote: Style B.
- Lay the bag template on the Peltex Interfacing.
- Use a non-permanent marking pen to trace around the template marking center front/back. Notice the center is not the edge of the template, but rather the marked seam allowance line shown in yellow.
- Flip the template to the left-hand side.
- Align the center front markings and trace the left side of the bag.
- Make two Peltex interfacing templates: one front and one back.
- Cut out the Peltex interfacing templates.
- Position each interfacing shape over the border print.
- Cut the shape.
- Fuse the Peltex Interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric, following the manufacturer’s directions.
- Repeat these steps to create a bag front and bag back.
- Join the bag front and back by stitching the bottom seam.
Watch Hobo Totes—Casual To Classic on Sewing With Nancy online.
Her comment is: Thanks for the inspiration! I will use this to make gifts for graduates going to college or to their first home away from home. My kids may find these bags helpful for carrying pet supplies when traveling–one for cats and one for dogs!
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Content in this feed is © copyright 2018 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.
The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.
Make sure you are subscribed to Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC enews mailing list so you won’t miss a thing. Sign up here. Join us on Facebook, plus a host of other social media channels. Connect With Nancy and Friends today!