Nancy Zieman’s Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge 2015
You are invited to participate in my 2015 Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge. Sew a fall table runner to showcase your sewing and quilting talents and post an entry below. Table runner entries may feature any fall occasion, color palette, or size that fits on a kitchen or dining room table—use your imagination! Enter up to four different table runners that have been sewn within the last year. You could be a prize winner!
Nancy Zieman’s Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge Guidelines
- Select or create your design. All sewing, quilting, serging, machine embroidery, and embellishment techniques are eligible.
- Grab our Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge blog badge to let your friends know about this exciting sewing challenge.
- Share your progress and projects on your social media sites using the hashtag: #NZTableRunner2015
- Upload your photo(s) by September 14, 2015.
How to Enter
Enter the Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge by adding a photo or photos in the link listed below. It’s easy! Use the link tool below and click the “add link” button. Your entry will appear directly in the gallery. (Once button is clicked—it may appear as a workable link).
Go Social with Your Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge
<div align="center"><a href="http://wp.me/p1FjY5-8BJ" rel="nofollow" title="Nancy Zieman's Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge 2015"><img src="https://nancyzieman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NancyZiemanTableRunnerBadge.jpg" alt="Nancy Zieman's Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge 2015" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
If you have a website, copy the code above and paste it into your website editor to have the Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge badge on your site. Or, add the link to your social sites such as Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, or Facebook. Let all your friends know you are working on the Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge by tagging your post with the hashtag: #NZTableRunner2015
Inspiration: Box Quilt Block Table Runner
I’d like to share a quilt block pattern that’s ideal for a table runner. Featured is the Box Quilt Block, which dates back to 1898, each 12-1/2″ block is made with eight half-square triangles and a center square. This pattern is included in the No-Hassle Triangles Quilt Blocks, a quilt block sampler pattern book. Streamline the piecing process by using the No-Hassle Triangle tool.
Supplies, Notions, Fabric
- No-Hassle Triangle Tool
- Quilting thread
- Assorted fabrics/fat quarters
- Batting to measure 4″ larger than the finished runner, in length and width
- Backing fabric to measure 4″ larger than the finished runner, in length and width
- Binding fabric
Each block requires:
- One square 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ (center)
- Four squares 4-7/8″ x 4-7/8″ (background)
- Four squares 4-7/8″ x 4-7/8″ (solid)
- Press the fabric. Use June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch to stabilize the fabrics.
Note from Nancy: In our sewing studio we always spray the fabric with Quilter’s Starch before cutting quilting strips or shapes, then press. This simple step gives the fabric crispness that translates into more accurate cutting results.
- Use a cardboard template measuring 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ to fussy cut a design from the print to showcase a particular motif in the focus fabric.
- Cut the solid and background fabrics into strips, 4-7/8″ wide. Each block will require four solid squares and four background squares.
- Layer the solid and background strips to rotary cut 4-7/8″ squares.
- Chain piece shapes, sewing all the right sides, then sew left sides.
- Cut apart.
- Use a rotary cutter and ruler to cut along the marked line.
- Press seam allowance towards the darker fabric.
- Create eight pairs.
- Lay out Box Quilt block following the layout.
- Join squares to form a block, using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Place squares from the first column onto the second column, right sides together; stitch.
- Place squares from column three onto stitched sections and join with a 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Press seams open.
- Join rows.
- Make and join three or more blocks to create the table runner.
- Add an inner border—cut fabric strips 1″ wide. Add an outer border—cut fabric strips 2-1/2″ wide.
- Create and add 2-1/2″ half-square triangles at all four corners.
- Use the stitch in the ditch quilting technique demonstrated in the Fearless Quilting Finishes episode of Sewing With Nancy, or find that technique in my book, Fearless Quilting Finishes.
- Bind with coordinating fabric.
A Total of $1000 in Prizes for the top vote contenders:
- Top Ten Winners: F+W Media will provide a copy of 50 Fat Quarter Makes, a $250 value
- First Place: Bundle of Nancy Zieman Products and Notions from Clover, a $200 value
- Second Place: Create With Nancy Five Book Collection, valued at $177.94
- Third Place: Quilter’s Package from June Tailor, a $107 value
- Fourth Place: Pellon Bundle Package, a $105 value
- Fifth Place: Autumn Array Cotona Thread Pack from Madeira, a $76 value
- Sixth Place: Nancy’s Notions Tool and Notion Bundle, a $63 value
- Seventh Place: A pattern collection from Quilting Creations International, a $60 value
- Eighth Place: Klasse Needle Pack from Klasse Needles, a $32 value
Enter the Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge by adding a photo or photos in the link listed above. It’s easy! Use the above link tool and click the “add link” button. Your entry will appear directly in the gallery. (Once button is clicked—it may appear as a workable link).
Plus share your comments below about the Fall Table Runner Sewing Challenge and let us know if you plan to join!
Email challenge questions to [email protected] Challenge not open to sponsors, employees, and immediate family members. Photos and techniques may be featured in future promotions, blog posts, videos, and/or TV shows.
Nancy Zieman—author, pattern designer, businesswoman, producer, and national sewing authority—is the host of the popular show Sewing With Nancy®, which appears exclusively on public television stations across the United States and Canada. Follow Nancy’s blog at NancyZieman.com/blog and sign up to receive Nancy’s E-News for the latest news in Sewing, Quilting, Creating, and Block of the Month updates.
Content in this feed is © copyright 2015 by Nancy Zieman and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website.