May 2020 NZP Block of the Month: Circle Block
Nancy’s Red Elegance
2020 Block of the Month May: Circle Block
Introducing the fifth of 12 FREE! Quit Block Tutorials for the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series!
Earlier this year, Team Nancy Zieman introduced the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series. Join the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, anytime, by viewing the Basic Supplies and Tools Listing in the January 1, 2020 NZP BoM20 Kick Off Blog Posting.
On the third Saturday of each month, we’ll feature one block design, and we’ll be stitching one or more blocks of the same design each month. The blocks are created using Our NEW! Red Elegance Fabric Collection by Riley Blake and the Carefree Curves Trace ‘n Create Template Set by Nancy Zieman for Clover. Follow along as we show step-by-step how to create the May Circle Block.
May Circle Block
NOTE: This block is 8-1/2″ square; 8″ finished square when sewn into finished quilt.
Prepare your fabrics! Pre-shrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time. Then, stabilize fabrics for the sewing process by pressing and starching fabrics with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
Cut Fabric for the Blocks
- Cut four 8-1/2″ background square of Red Elegance Wallpaper Cream.
- Cut four 7″ square of Red Elegance Main Brick – for the center circle.
- Cut four 7″ square Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing
For this May block of the m0nth in the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Nancy’s Red Elegance Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series, we’re sharing Nancy Zieman’s techniques for creating perfect circles – without ever cutting a circle!
Construct the Blocks
Create the Center Circle Appliqué
- Place a 7″ background square of Red Elegance Main Brick to one 7″ square Pellon Sof-Shape Fusible Interfacing – matching smooth side of the fusible interfacing to right side of fabric. Pin.
- Position Circle Template on the interfacing, centering the template on the interfacing square.
- With a fabric marking pen and Circle Template, trace a 6″ circle onto the interfacing – tracing along the yellow lines at the die cut openings.
- Stitch directly on the marked line using a slightly shorter stitch length.
- With a 45mm Rotary Cutting and Pinking Blade, trim away excess fabric, leaving about a 1/4″ seam allowance on the outside of stitching line.
- Carefully cut away the center of the interfacing, leaving about 1″ of interfacing at the inside of stitching line.
- Use Clover’s Point 2 Point Turner, and smooth the curved edge as the interfacing is turned to the wrong side.
Topstitch Appliqué to Block Background
- Fold one background square in half, then in quarters to determine the center, use a Roll ‘n Press, or ‘finger press’ along the folded edges.
- Fold the center circle applique in half, then in quarters to determine the center, use a Roll ‘n Press, or ‘finger press’ along the folded edges. Open.
- Layer the circle applique onto the background square aligning fold lines. Pin.
- Repeat steps above and make FOUR May Circle Blocks!
The Nancy’s Red Elegance May Circle Blocks are complete! NOTE: Stitch FOUR May Circle Blocks .
Watch Stitch it! Sisters Program 112: Carefree Curves in Quilts!
SHOP our NEW! Books & Patterns and Exclusive Bundle Boxes at ShopNZP.com
Shop Elastic, Cotton Webbing, Zippers & More at ShopNZP.com
For a chance to be the random winner of a Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack with S!S button & sticker, please leave a comment below sharing your thoughts about the NEW! 2020 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series and/or The May Circle Block. Nancy Zieman Productions will give away one Stitch it! Sisters 5″ Fabric Short Stack to one US resident in the 48 contiguous states. Winner must reply within 30 days to the official giveaway announcement email message – sent from Nancy Zieman Productions.
The randomly selected winner of a Roll ‘n Press from Clover, from the May 9 & 12 Blog posts, NEW! Stitch it! Sisters Quick Quilting in the Hoop: Fall Leaves Program 115 and NEW! Quick Quilting in the Hoop: Fall Leaves Embroidery Tutorial is Susan.
Her comment is: The Fall Leaves Embroidery Collection is really quite lovely with the vibrant colors and the leaf patterns conveying the beauty of the season. Love the table runner. Could use the pattern to make coordinating pillows.
Team Nancy Zieman
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2020 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.